4

I woke up and checked my room to see if anything was out of place. I had slept quite peacefully despite an intruder being in my house the day before. I got up and turned on the faucet, I looked at my skin in the mirror and smiled.

It's never about your situation. It's about how you handle it.

With that in mind I brushed my teeth and washed my face making sure that I had gotten all the soap off of my face. I slipped on some yoga pants and a sports bra and walked out off my room before I bumped into Mateo.

Again.

"Jeez you've seriously got to stop getting in my way, I'm gonna break my nose on your pecs."

"Thank you." He said, I scoffed moving out his way to head downstairs.

"You're going somewhere." He commented.

"Si, I am indeed going somewhere." I opened the fridge and tossed some fruit in a blender along with a tablespoon of Apple Cider Vinegar, and detox water which was infused with mint cucumbers and lemons and a dash of honey.

"That's pretty healthy."

"Thanks." I said pouring two cups.

"Aww you care about me Flower."

"Nope. I made too much and I didn't want to waste it." I said trying to hide that fact that I actually did make him some.

"Goodmorning." My dads deep voice rang. I sipped my smoothie and watched as Mateo stiffened and gave his full attention to my dad. The smirk grew wide on my face.

"Mateo." He said giving him a curt nod. He came over to me and gave me a hug.

"Goodmorning sweetheart, how's my special girl?"

"Ew dad I though we stop doing that in seventh grade." I said, deep down I still loved it.

"Well you know, we don't know how long we have left on this earth so why not cherish every moment?"

"So why didn't you cherish Mateo's presence as well?" He almost spit out his coffee. I patted his back.

"Uh. Goodmorning Mateo. I hope you slept well." I knew it pained him a little to even pretend about Mateo's presence. I gulped the last bit of smoothie and tossed my cup in the sink I slid on my shoes before my dad stopped me.

"Where are you going?" He asked with a raised eyebrow. 

"Outside?"

"Take Mateo with you. Be back in an hour, any later and I'm calling the Hound to come find you."

"He's back?" I asked. The Hound was a man, he was a big buff scary man who could find anyone in thirty minutes, no matter how hard you tried to bury your existence.

"I really don't understand how you form friendly relationships with intimidating men. You're just like you mom, so friendly and kind ugh." He said huffing and walking away. I chuckled a bit and headed towards the door, I didn't feel Mateo's presence so I commented on it.

"Are you coming or what?" I asked. I heard his footsteps behind me and smiled. We walked a couple minutes to the trail and suddenly I felt panicked. I took deep breaths to slow my breathing and prevent a panic attack.

"You're not alone Jasmine, you're safe."

"I know. I was just practicing breathing exercises before I run." He gave me a deadpan look. "I'm okay really. Let's go." I said before staring to run. I used all my stress and turned it into energy to power my run. All my emotions were in fact turned into energy so I could run.

Fear made me run longer and faster.
Happiness allowed my to be agile.
Stress allowed me to exert power.

Out of the corner I saw something flash like a mirror being reflected in the light. I turned my head to look, my mistake, when the head leads the body follows. My body wasn't ready.

I fell in pain and gritted my teeth refusing to make any sound of pain.

"Jasmine!" Mateo said rushing to my side. I clutched my ankle which was definitely sprained. I slapped away his hands and stood up on my own.

"I'm fine, let's just keep going."

"Jas-"

"I said let's go." He let out a breath and continued to run. I did a weird limp jog behind him for a couple seconds before he stopped. Swiftly, he lifted me up and headed in the opposite direction, towards our house.

"Mat-"

"Don't say anything. You're hurt, I can't let you continue to run, or walk for that matter. Your dad will slaughter me mercilessly."

"Have you heard stories about what my dad has done?" I asked, no one really told me about them. My mom was the same way, we were uninformed about the way my father slaughters and tortured.

"Yes. We all have."

"Can you tell me some?" I asked hoping he would tell me.

"I'm afraid I can't or else someone else will be telling you about how your dad killed me. Just know he's destructive and very organized." I looked to the sky and thought about it. I could imagine that. I had yet to kill my first person. As ritualistic as it sounds it was like a traditional invitation into our family.

"Jasmine, what happened?" My mom asked as Mateo laid me on the sofa.

"Just a sprained ankle."

"Mateo?" My dad asked sternly.

"I predict a muscle strain and perhaps a ligament sprain on the left ankle going through the calf muscles."

"Evidence?"

"You can see the bruising in the ankle and if you feel the calf muscles you can experience the twitching due to the nerves sending some type of distress signal to the brain." Dad nodded.

"Very well done. You're dismissed." Mateo instantly vanished and I was confused.

"Dad he's not your dog, you gotta treat him with some type of respect. He is taking care of me which I think is a big enough task." My dad scoffed again.

"I agree with her Theo. You gotta be nice to the boy."