Chapter 3

All night I heard the moaning and scratching wishing they could break in, so I didn't get much sleep. I got up and peeked out my window to see if they were still waiting for me. Surprisingly, there were none. This shocked me as to where they were and more importantly what they were doing. The more they saw the smarter they became over the past year.

I shook that off my mind and I really didn't feel like eating breakfast, which these days never hurts anything. I went back in another bedroom. The room is furnished but it's never used except to hold things I can only look at so often that hold memories of the old life.

I open the door and pull a shoe box out from under the bed. I sit on the bed and rest against the headboard. I flip open the top and place it to the side. I pulled a stack of pictures from the box. A sad and longing feeling came over me, and chill ran up my spine.

The first picture was of my family. All five of us together on my brother's 15th birthday, which was a year and a half ago. My father and mother on the left with arms around each other looking happy as always. My little sister May was in the middle. A tooth was missing in her wide smile, and I laughed to myself. My brother was on the far right standing tall next to me. He was smiling with his brown hair down almost covering his eyes. I missed Sam a lot. We were very close especially because we were only two years apart.

A tear rolled down my face. I missed them a lot. My parents and my sister died last September when it all started, they weren't fast enough. Sam and I were together for about a week then we were chased out of our town and we were separated. I looked for him for awhile and after two months I made it back to Chicago, my home town, or at least what used to be Chicago.

The next photo was of my two best friends and myself. I was standing in the middle and all of us had our arms around each other's shoulders. The first day if senior year. Abigail was to my left and Noah to my right. We spent every moment possible together.

I went through just about the whole box of pictures. When I was done I neatly stacked them back in the box, making sure those two photos stayed on the top.

I opened a drawer and took out my sketch book and a pencil. Going back to my position against the headboard, I drew my knees toward me and placed my sketch book on top of them using them like a table. I didn't know exactly what I was going to draw but the pencil moved anyway. A few hours later I finished shaded it in the right way. I ended up drawing a mermaid under the water with her hair flowing through the water. I smiled seeing it looked like one of my best works. Then I closed it and put it back in its drawer.

The night had fell faster than I thought it did. Noticing that I also noticed my stomach growling. I went to the pantry and looked through the cans of soup deciding which one looked the most appetizing. I ended up just grabbed a random one seeing that I couldn't make up my mind. I opened it and poured into a pot on the stove and warmed it up. Then I dumped it in a bowl and sat at the table. I ate it slowly savoring the taste not knowing if I would get to eat it again.

Being a bit lazy I placed the bowl in the sink saving to wash it in the morning. I walked back into my bedroom and crawled in bed.