Chapter 18

Disclaimer: This is not the actually story of Catching Fire THIS IS FANFICTION! All right go to the fantastic Suzanne Collins!

Chapter 18

"Why am I-" I start.

"President Snow's orders. Our pleas for a different dress were ignored." Cinna interrupts. I'm in my wedding dress the one that won the in the contest. It's the one coated with pearls, but it so much heavier than I remember.

"Was it always this heavy?" I ask. Maybe it's just me and my pregnant stomach or something, but it feels so much heavier.

"I had to make some alterations because of the lighting." What does the lighting have to do with it? Cinna is the designer I'll trust him. I walk into the elevator and glance up at Peeta who's wearing a white suit, what grooms wear in the Captiol.

"You look gorgeous." Peeta says kissing my cheek.

"Be careful you'll mess up the masterpiece!" Effie shrieks gaping at us. Peeta and I just stare at her.

The other tributes are already gathered offstage and are whispering, but when Peeta and I arrive, they fall silent. I realize everyone is starting daggers at my wedding dress. Finally, Finnick says, "I can't believe Cinna put you in that thing."

"He didn't have a choice President Snow made him." I say defensively.

Cashmere tosses her flowing blonde curls back and exclaims, "Well you look ridiculous!"

Then she and Gloss walk onto the stage starting us off.

I'm confused because while they seem angry, some are giving us sympathetic pats on the shoulders, and Johanna Mason actually stops to straighten my pearl necklace. "Make him pay for it, okay?"

I nod, but I don't know what she means. Not until we're all sitting out onstage and Caesar Flickerman, hair and face highlighted in lavender this year dons his opening spiel, and the tributes begin their interviews.

It isn't until now that I realize the depth of betrayal felt among the victors and the rage that accompanies it. But they are so smart, so wonderfully smart about how they play it because it all comes back to reflect on the government and President Snow in particular.

Not everyone. There are the old throwbacks, like Brutus and Enobaria, who are just here for another game, and those too baffled or drugged or lost to join in on the attack. But there are enough victors who still have the wits and the nerve to come out fighting.

Cashmere starts about how she can't stop crying when she thinks of how everyone will miss the victors. Gloss recalls the kindness shown to him and his sister. Beetee questions the legality of it, wondering if it has been thoroughly examined by experts. Finnick recites a poem for his one true love in the Capitol. By the time Johanna Mason gets up, she's wondering if something can be done about the situation.

Seeder quietly ruminates about how, back in District 11, everyone assumes President Snow is all-powerful. So if he's all-powerful, why doesn't he change the Quell? And Chaff, who comes right on her heels, insists the president could change the Quell if he wanted to, but he must not think it matters much to anyone.

By the time they introduce me, the audience is an absolute wreck. People have been weeping and collapsing and even calling for a change. The sight of me in my white silk bridal gown practically causes a riot. No more me, no more star-crossed lovers living happily ever after, no more wedding. I can see even Caesar's professionalism showing some cracks as he tries to quiet them so I can speak, but my three minutes are ticking quickly away.