Noreena's Room Of Grass

I woke up to find that Nor's bed was empty again. It seemed as if she was getting up earlier every day. Light showing through her rectangular bedroom window speckled over me like a blanket of hope that simply stated, I have been blessed with another 24 hours of life.

I sat up from the thin mattress on the floor and reached down to feel the soft navy blue carpet beneath my finger tips.

I wanted to fall back down and sleep some more but I knew there was work to do.

I paused, taking in a deep breath while making a mental note that I am more than lucky to be alive.

I silently looked around the room with burgundy walls. The smell of pollen and rotten leaves filled the air with a ripe scent. Her room smelled of fall and candle wax, even though it was the middle of summer. Dust sat upon her bedside table along with a lantern and three candles, two of which have been burned down almost completely. Tiny hanging grass dolls were all around. Each unique. Each a different person. If you payed close attention, you could almost point out exactly who the dolls represented.

The doll that was in front of me, in the middle of the wall, looked like Nor. It's long brown and green grass hair sat over the wilted yellow dandelion eyes. The grass hair was split down the middle, just like her long, silky, real life hair.

I looked to the left, a grass version of Alexander from school hung close to the corner of the room. To the right was Noreena's grandmother, Nora.

Nor and Nora seemed odly close, like they shared a bond that joined them together. It seemed as if nothing could ever break them apart, not even death.

The whole room had grass dolls everywhere. Nor made them so easily and neatly. All over the dark walls, a few hanging by thread on the ceiling. These were all people of the Island, many I've never met.

I've asked her of these dolls multiple times before, no one knows why she makes them, not even me and I've grown up with her. Over half of the grass people that Nor made have already died in real life.

Although I've not quite met them all, Nor says she has.

I looked to the back of the small room, my father sat with one grass arm and no grass head in the bottom left corner of the South wall. Slowly standing, I turned my body completely around and walked to the still doll, as I do every day. I crouched down,
"Today is different and new", I said softly with closed eyes and cautious lips.

"Swim deep", said a small voice.

"I promise", I replied.

I opened my eyes, light was still shining through the window elegantly. Shadows danced around the room, cast by the palm trees outside, making a kaleidoscope of shadows. Lifting myself back up, I let out a sigh.

I turned, startled to find Nor in the doorway.

"London!", her voice was stern. "The day has nearly gone by! Where is your bag?"

"I haven't gathered the candles yet.", I replied, feeling as if I might shrink under her gaze.

"Get yourself dressed, breakfast is on the table. Ill be with Grandma."

I quickly started getting dressed, reminding myself quietly under my breath,
"Today is different and new."