Rising In Silence

Rising In Silence

I like where my mind wanders as the music pounds into my head, sinks into my skin. Such thought shouldn't come so easily.

Nothing ever does.

The inspiration flowed through my fingertips out to the keys that lay before me; a melody I could never forget, just as I could never forget your face.

Where did you go?

The song couldn't finish if you were gone.

It couldn't finish.

My heart wouldn't heal.

There was a permanent hole where your love should have been.

Your love, the one thing that made the sun rise and stay risen.

It was the same sun that fell as you pressed the key to my heart back into my palm, burning an imprint into my skin that felt like it would never go away.

Just regain consciousness now, please, just wake up from this never ending nightmare of a life without you in it.

After you left, I listened to nothing on repeat, and the melody stored in the keys lay untouched by hands no longer bound by happiness.

The sun rose and fell like any other day, because after you, a day was just a day.

Just a day.

Just a sunset.

Just a song.

Just a melody I couldn't remember any longer.

But then I watched a sunset.

I sat in total silence and watched the sun I thought you made rise fall, and it was transcendent.

The silence filled my ears, and it was beautiful; just as much as the melody, as the music.

You were what brought the silence to me.

You were what brought the music to life.

You left, and with your departure, you brought the sunset, which I now see looks just as beautiful as the sunrise.

Now it's what brings the music.

And in the silence I hear it still,

Like a heartbeat.

It pounds.

My heart; finally whole again.