1

Some folks marry for love, others for lust. Some marry for money, others for fame. James Charles, on the other hand, is different. 

James' early adult life revolved around his YouTube career; this itself brought many men into his life. James desperately wanted a relationship, but simply wasn't ready. James never married for love, James married to feel. James never understood what love was. Sure, James cared for people when they came into his life, but not in the way they wanted him to. 

James fell into a heavy depression after his three failed marriages. What is he doing wrong? He would buy his current lover anything they could ever imagine. A new home? Done. A puppy? In a flash. This surely shows his love, right? Why did everyone he cared for leave him?

For many weeks, James refused to leave the comfort of his bed. In his pink, silky asylum, nobody can hurt him. Friends had come and go; each attempting to get him back on his feet. James wouldn't budge, until that fateful day.

A soft knocked echoed throughout the walls of James' bedroom.

"Come in." James sat up in bed.

"Fiona made some extra cookies, so I thought I would bring you a batch," a green man-like creature said as he closed the door behind him.

"Oh, good to see you, sister Shrek," James mumbled with a solemn smile, "Sorry, I'm a bit of a mess right now."

Shrek set down the plate of cookies onto a dresser drawer. "How have you been holding up? Fiona and I have been a bit worried"

"Better, I've been trying to get myself out of bed more often, but I just don't feel motivated."

"What do you mean?"

"I don't know," James said, "I guess I don't exactly see any reason to. After all, why should I leave the house if I'll just be hurt again?"

Shrek took a long look at James with a blank expression, followed by a hearty chuckle.

"What are you laughing about?" James asks in a sotto voce tone.

Shrek slapped a hand on James' shoulder. "You have a good heart kid, and some people will take advantage of that. This may seem like some sort of curse now, but when you get about my age, you will be glad you have it. All of the heartache will make you a stronger person."

"Thank you Shrek, I needed that." James smiled.

"Now, how about we get you some cold drinks at the bar? You'll need to leave this godforsaken room sometime. What better time than right now?"

"I suppose I could have a drink or two." James rolled the covers below his feet, "I'll need to get changed first, though."

"No problem, lad. I'll wait outside, I don't think I can stand looking at this bright room for another second," said Shrek.