Developing Your Writing Process

"A writer writes!"

Procrastination is your enemy. How many times have you made excuses not to write? If you're anything like me then they are too numerous to mention! It is so easy to find something else to do whether it be housework, watching a video on Youtube, or simply saying to yourself 'I'll start later'.

Do not start later, start now!

In this chapter we will discuss the foundation of your work: Developing a writing process.

The Importance of a Writing Routine

Obviously forming a habit in many cases can be an incredibly destructive influence on your life, but developing consistent writing habits can exponentially increase, not only the amount of work you produce, but the quality of your writing as well.

There are many suggestions for adopting specific writing habits out there, but in my opinion your writing regime or routine is going to be different from anyone else's. You have to cater it to your life and to your own personality. Some would say that you must alter your routine drastically and make writing your number one pursuit, but that depends entirely on your goals and on your situation.

If you wish to become a published author, then of course you will have to commit more of your time to that goal. On the other hand, if you consider writing as merely a hobby and wish only to better your technique, then you will not have to invest nearly as much time in that pursuit.

Regardless of whether you are an aspiring author, or whether you just wish to brush up on your writing skills, a consistent routine will still be highly beneficial to you, bringing your desired accomplishment(s) closer, in a shorter amount of time.

How to Create a Writing Routine

I cannot tell you exactly what your writing routine should be as it is different for each person, but I can help you create one which is catered specifically to you. At first it may sound like you're back in school, but trust me, this really helps!

So, let's make a writing routine together. Grab a pen or pencil and some paper and follow these steps carefully:

1) Write a time table out on your sheet. A column for each day and three rows labelled 'Morning', 'Afternoon', and 'Evening' like below:

                 Monday    Tuesday    Wednesday    Thursday    Friday    Saturday    Sunday  

Morning

Afternoon

Evening

2) I want you to think about your weekly routine. Fill in each part of the table, what you are doing in the morning, afternoon, and evening of each day (if your schedule means that you are up at night, then simply add this as an extra row).

3) Take a look at what you have written. You should be able to see a pattern of when you are free and how well you manage your time.

4) Based on this, you must decide when you will be able to write. In some cases you may see that you have plenty of free time and that you can simply slot your writing routine into those parts of your week, but for those of you who lead hectic lives, you may have to move some things around to make space for your writing.

You have now taken the first step to creating your own personal writing routine!

I do, however, sympathise with those who feel they just do not have the time, or the energy. Some of you may have families to take care of, or perhaps work commitments which seriously limit the time available to you, but what I want you to do, regardless of circumstance, is be honest with yourself. Very few people truly do not have the time to write. Even if your routine can only consist of half an hour a week, split up into three ten minute sessions, it is still a start. You just have to keep to it and try to increase that time as much as possible, striving to maximise the opportunities you have for putting pen to paper, or fingers to keyboard.