2 :: The Meryton Assembly

When Elizabeth and her family entered the assembly room, they were pleased to discover that Bingley was as good-looking and gentlemanlike as everyone had been hoping he'd be. The large party he'd been reported to bring was actually only four others: his two sisters, the husband of the eldest sister, and his friend.

Elizabeth thought that Miss Bingley and Mrs. Hurst, Bingley's sisters, were handsome women and had an air of decided fashion, but she couldn't like them. Along with their air of fashion, they also had an air of conceited arrogance that displeased her. As for Mr. Hurst, the husband of Bingley's eldest sister, Elizabeth thought he merely looked the gentleman. He went directly to fetch a glass of wine and was never without one the whole of the evening as he mumbled his way through card games.

Bingley's friend, Mr. Darcy, quickly gained everyone's attention. The assembly's first impression of him was highly favorable; he had a fine, tall figure, handsome features, noble mien and the quickly circulated report that he possessed ten thousand a year earned him great esteem. The gentlemen pronounced him to be a fine figure of a man and the ladies declared he was much handsomer than Mr. Bingley.

Even Elizabeth, known for her superior sense and perspicacious eye, thought Mr. Darcy terribly appealing. Her heart, rarely bothered by the sight of even the handsomest of men, leapt when she perceived a ready intelligence and keen understanding in his dark eyes as he gazed upon the room. His tall height pleased her as one who didn't often meet a man so much taller than herself and there was something appealing about the way his mouth moved. She didn't even fault him for his silent reserve toward the fawning attentions of some of her neighbors—and her mother. His response seemed a mark of good sense and good taste.

As the evening progressed, it didn't take long before Mr. Bingley became a great favorite. He hurried to acquaint himself with all the principal people in the room. He was lively, unreserved and unabashedly delighted by the ball. He even talked of giving one himself at Netherfield. Elizabeth thoroughly approved of him, especially as he asked her good friend Charlotte Lucas and then her sister Jane for the first two dances. She thought them the two most sensible young women in the whole room, and his singling them both out so quickly gave her a favorable opinion of his good sense.

Unfortunately for the great Mr. Darcy, Elizabeth became quickly disenchanted with him. Obliged to sit down for two dances due to a lack of male partners, she found herself situated near Mr. Darcy. Disappointingly, he'd shown no interest in joining the dancers but opted to stand and watch the proceedings, and at present, he was standing near enough for her to hear when Mr. Bingley came from the dance to press his friend to join in.

"Darcy, come on! I hate seeing you standing around by yourself in this stupid manner. Come dance."

"I certainly won't. You know I detest it unless I'm acquainted with my partner. And at this kind of assembly it would be intolerable. Your sisters are engaged and it would be a punishment to dance with anyone else."

"I wouldn't be as particular as you are for a kingdom! I've never met so many pleasant girls, and some of them are uncommonly pretty."

"You are dancing with the only handsome girl in the room," Mr. Darcy conceded, looking at the eldest Miss Bennet.

Bingley's response was immediate. "She's the most beautiful girl I've ever beheld!" Elizabeth hid a pleased smile at the compliment to her sister. "But look, there's her sister. She's very pretty as well. Let me ask my partner to introduce you." Elizabeth colored and continued facing forward so as not to reveal she knew herself to be the object of their conversation.

From the corner of her eye, she saw Mr. Darcy turn to look at her for a moment before turning away and saying coldly, "She's tolerable, I suppose, but she's not handsome enough to tempt me. Go back to your partner and enjoy her smiles, Bingley. Stop wasting your time with me."