Chapter Three: Gone Awry

Derick

We stayed in the hills our first night in Leknes; the lapping of ocean waves in the distance cooed us to sleep. We woke well before the morn; it was nearly silent as we traveled through the small outlying village.

Shops were scarce to begin with but soon became closer and closer till there was barely any space between them. Each was brightly decorated and mostly feminine. I’d never seen so many different dress shops.

Perhaps Emma would like a dress.

I ducked my head into the nearest door, the sun beat down heavily on my back as I stepped in. “Good morning, sir.” An older woman called from the back.

I couldn’t contain the smile that tugged at my lips, she reminded me so much of my grandmother.

“Good morning, miss. I know I look quite strange, a king in a dress shop; perhaps you can make a dress for my lady?” I raised a brow. “Oh my, a king you say?” She curtsied the best she could. “Yes miss, but I require no special treatment.” I let out a small laugh. 

“This dress, you said it’s for your lady, Princess Emma, perhaps?” She gave a weak smile. “I believe so; I beg that you have her sizes.” I ran my hand through my hair.

“Of course, sir. This is your lady’s favorite dress shop. Any colors you have in mind?” She raised a brow. “Cerulean, perhaps even rose.” I thought she would enjoy a welcoming gift, but also the thought of home.

“I’ll have it done in a day’s time, your highness.”

I took a deep breath, there were so many intoxicating colors thrown about the room. The dresses were delicately crafted with such detail and care. “Miss, your work is incredible.” I couldn’t seem to take it all in.

I waited for an answer, but as my eyes found her in all the colors she was hard at work with endless amounts of fabric running through her frail hands.

The sun consumed my entire body as I took a step out of the shop. I raised my hand over my eyes to take a look around as my eyes adjusted to the light. Several other dress shops lined the narrow road, and just behind a smaller shop was something that sparked interest within me.

  *     *       *       *       *    

The blacksmith’s shop was tucked behind and hidden from the passing eye. Alas, the Norwegians have something I’m interested in aside from girly dresses.

The front was almost entirely open and the forge was near the back corner. A man hammered furiously on the sword her had pressed to the anvil in the center of the room.

The hammer fell to his side as he looked up at me, “What can I help you with?” Dirt was caked to his face with sweat and his voice was rough as he spoke.

“A sword,” I paused, “for my lady.” He raised a brow, “You don’t look like you’re around here and I don’t suppose you came all the way to Norway to purchase a sword for your lady. So, what brings you to Leknes?” He stepped away from the anvil. “I’m here for the Princess, seeing that I’m going to be the king of Scotland.” I grimaced at the thought. Unease set in as his face hardened, “Princess Lavinia, I trust.” His mouth pressed into a thin line. “I don’t believe so, my memory is faint.” I raced through my thoughts in attempt to remember her name.

How strange that I’d forgotten her name so soon after learning it.

“Princess Emma?” The anger resonated deep in his voice. That name clicked in my head, “Yes! Princess Emma.” I let out a hearty laugh.