Chapter 2: By the announcement

"I heard you were looking for me." Came out of my mouth even though nobody told me so.

"Wow, Max, you're here. It's weird seeing you at a party.

"It sure is," I said in my head.

"If I had a drink I'd make a toast for new beginnings," I said trying to be classy.

He laughs a little while I'm trying my best not to stare at his lips. They're so red and kissable. Some people say that white boys ain't got nothing on them but the red lips prove them wrong. I just wonder how do they taste like.

Seconds later I came back to my senses and said: "Anyway, I heard you were making an announcement tonight."

He immediately responded "Thank you so much for reminding me. I'll see you in 5 minutes." while leaving the room.

I totally FUCKED UP. Why did I bring up the announcement when we were having such a great time? I don't want Austin to feel uneasy around me. I don't want to be 'that' person.

***

Later I find Harper on the dance floor. Our song "This Is How We Do" by Katy Perry was playing. At this point I had forgotten about Austin. I was having fun for the first time in a long time.

All of the sudden a hear the music fade out. I started looking around wondering what was happening.

"Hey everyone, gather around please. I have an announcement to make." said Austin through the speaker.

Harper and I turn around. I felt my heartbeat raising. I didn't know what to do. He started talking again. His precious voice calmed me down, just like cereal. Did I just say that he's like my cereal. I mean, I wouldn't mind eating him if you know what I mean.

"Come up here please." I hear Austin say.

Is he calling me or something? I've never been go at paying attention. At look at Harper and she's as confused as I am.

Then a see a girl walking towards the stage. I immediately wonder who is she and why was Austin calling her.

Harper all of the sudden goes "What is Jazz Ortega doing here?"

I still don't know what's happening. Is this it?

"Do you know her?" I said.

"I obviously do, I just told you her whole name." said Harper. Then she continues "She's a senior, she's latina, 19 years old... that's all I know about her."

"Weird, Lily usually invites people from our class." I said.

"I want to tell everyone here that..." said Austin while I was shaking. I didn't know if it was the adrenaline or the air conditioner. I started to dust myself off so I didn't look bad in this eyes. Who am I kidding, I want to kiss him in front of everyone. But what happened next broke my heart.

"This is my girlfriend." said Austin followed by a kiss.

I look around and everyone's happy. I see Lily's face and she looks disgusted. I started tearing up. Harper was still in shook by all of this.

Then she snapped out of it and said "Take a deep breath, everything will be just fine."

I replied with tears going down my face "Take me home."

We walked out of there immediately. I heard Lily through the speaker saying "Party's over!"

***

I'm on the car with Harper again. This time I'm not happy. All I could think about was Austin. And how less I would've hurt if I wasn't there.

"Are you okay?" said Harper very awkwardly.

I said "Why wouldn't I be?" in my sarcastic voice.

"Your forever crush just said that he has a girlfriend, I'm sure your heart is not okay." She says.

I started tearing up again. "I don't want to talk, take me home so I can cry myself to sleep."

We both stayed quiet for the rest of the ride. We got home and I said "Can you sleepover?"

"I don't know I'll have to ask mom." She says.

I said "I'll wait for you inside." As I'm walking to my front door.

***

We are in my room. Both of us laying on the bed. Harper asks again "Are you sure you're ok?"

I say "It's probably fake. I think it's a social experiment."

Harper sits on the bed and says "Oh my god, you're on denial." While smiling.

I sit on the bed wondering what she's talking about.

Harper says "They are twelve steps to get over someone. You're on step two which is denial."

I thought about a little and it makes perfect sense. So I said "Yeah... what's the next step?"

Harper goes "I can't tell you until you're ready."

I go "It's anger, isn't it?" with my best evil face.

Appearances

-Max Atwood
-Harper Silas
-Austin Valerie
-Jazz Ortega
-Lily Smith