Chapter 4: By the project

"I have a project, get together in groups of three." Said our teacher, Mr Bravo.

I immediately ask Harper "We're doing this together, right?"

She says "Obviously."

Austin is sitting next to us which is weird. He never does this. It's not like I give a fuck but okay.  Then Austin turns his head around to face us. He goes "Would you guys mind if I join you?"

I froze.

Harper says "Sure, we'll meet up at Max's house this afternoon." with a smile on her face.

After Harper's words, Austin turned back around to face the front of the classroom. I get close to Harper's ear and started whispering.

"We don't even know what the project is going to be about," I said.

She replied, "We'll never know if you don't stay quiet." RUDE MUCH HARPER.

Shortly after Mr. Bravo started talking. "This will be the easiest project you'll ever do in my class. It can be anything you want but It has to be related to science. The due date is this Friday."

Austin turns around again and says "What is our project going to be about? I'm down with doing anything." YEAH, I'M DOWN TO DO ANYTHING WITH YOU TOO. AUSTIN.

I really hope I said that inside my head.

***

Later I was in my kitchen trying to convince my mom to leave the house for once. No one knows the outcome of this little argument.

I went "Mom, some of my friends are coming over to do a school project. Can you please leave the house?" Those word came out of me very fast.

My mom goes "Why should I leave the house? I don't leave the house when Lily or Harper are here." With her death mom stare.

It took me like ten seconds to reply but when I did I said "It's different, Mom. Please do it. Look, you have to go grocery shopping. Vero wants to visit the mall. I heard her talking about some new boots the other day. And I know youre going to ask me if I want something from the mall. I want another black hoddie." While crossring my hands.

Mom was speechless which is weird. Today is a weird day. But I won't pay attetion to that because I have the house all to myself. Actually Harper, Austin and I. What could go wrong?

***

We worked on the project for about two hours. We experimented with salt and vinegar. So many thing you could do. After finishing our work we walked up to my room. It was all quiet for five minutes. Harper was sitting on the corner of my bed while Austin was laying down with his head on my legs.

"I really like your room Max." Said Austin while pretending not to be looking at my lips.

I nervously said "Thanks, I worked really hard on it." With my biggest lying face. Veronica shows me three designs for this room when my mom bought the house and this was my favorite.

We all started using our phones when all of the sudden the door bell sounds.

Harper gets up and says "I'll get it." While winking an eye at me.

Harper leaves the door and it's just Austin and I. He got up and is not in front of me. He was so close I thought he wanted to kiss me.

Austin says "Do you... like her?"

He was very nervious when he said that. With the corner of my eye I saw his hand shaking a little. I was struggling. This is not my proudest moment.

I said "Who? Harps?" And he nods.

He started biting his lips while I said "She's my best friend. Of course I don't like her. I mean, I like her as a friend."

Austin moved closer to me. His cheeks where touching mine. He says "I mean, if you like girls?"

Before I could even process that I heard a scream from the first floor of my house. We both get scared and run downstars.

IT WAS FUCKING JAZZ. WHAT THE FUCK. WHY IS THIS BITCH AT MY HOUSE. I WAS HAVING THE BEST TIME OF MY LIFE. LIFE ISN'T FUCKING FARE AT ALL.

Austin desparately says "Jazz, what are you doing here?"

Jazz goes "You don't call me babe anymore?"

Austin says "Babe, what are you doing here?" While I roll my eyes big time.

All of the sudden they started kissing. IN MY OWN FUCKING HOUSE. This couldn't get any better. I was angry but I still wanted to exchange places with Jazz. I don't she deserves him.

Austin says "I'll see you guys tomorrow." While walking out the door with Jazz.

Shortly after Harper and I look at eachother and she says "I am very hungry. Can you make something?"

***

"Oh my god, these are the best spaghetties I've ever tasted." Says Harper with a smirk.

I proudly say "Of course they are! I made them." Then I said "Jazz Ortega was in my house an hour ago looking for her boyfriend."

Harper says "I was giving Jazz the benefit of the dought but after today I'm sure she's hiding something and we're going to find out what it is."

Harpers words hit me like a train. I realized that the only person who was keeping Austin and I apart was Jazz. I felt this desire of making Jazz suffer for being noisy and unpredictable. She is hiding something and I'll make sure to uncover it.

Appearances

-Max Atwood
-Harper Silas
-Austin Valerie
-Mr Bravo
-Karen Atwood
-Jazz Ortega