4.

"Mom, there's someone in the silo."

   A cold silence fell between us as my mother did the dishes.

   "Stay away from there, sweetie."

   "Why?"

   "It's not a person. That's a monster." Her back was still turned in my direction as she began to scrub the dishes a little harder than before. "He wears the smell of blood and death like perfume. There's fire in his eyes and ice in his veins. Remember my warning, Millie."

   My breath hitched. I fought through my worry to ask a question. "Why is there a monster here?"

   "He's a shadow person. There are many of them in this world, but they're dangerous. Just as bad as death himself." She dried her hands and gently sat the hand towel on the counter. My mother leaned her back against the sink and crossed her arms. "If you get too close, they'll steal your breath."

   My hand clamped over my mouth.

   "Stay away from the shadow person, and you'll be fine, Millie."

   But I didn't listen. When I turned twelve, my gut told me to return to that silo with a flashlight once again.

   My knees trembled as I peeked into the window.

   "I told you to stay away," the shadow person told me. He appeared from the silo's shadows, the same as before.

   My breath came in short bursts as I searched my brain for something to say.

   "Why don't you listen?" The man-like figure scowled at me. "I'm a monster."

   "Who's to say that being a monster makes you such a bad thing?"

   I don't know where it came from, but as I told the figure, he lost the cold expression he held as a blank one replaced it. Though it was brief, and he returned to his previous stare. I couldn't help but remember that moment.

   "You don't understand what I'm capable of, do you?"

   "My mother said you could steal my breath, but I don't think you're as harmful as you want me to believe."

   I felt my muscles loosen as tension began to leave me.

   He scoffed. "You're either brave or ignorant. If you really knew what I was you wouldn't be here."

   "You're a shadow person." I glanced around the inside of the silo. "What should I call you?"

   "Why are you doing this?"

   I have a limp shrug. "It's probably lonely in the silo. I thought maybe I could be your friend."

   "You're peculiar, Millie."

   "You know my name?"

   "Your friend called you back some years ago while you played a game."

   "How long have you been here?"

   "I've lived on this land for more than a fifty years as a shadow person, but when this silo was built, a devil's trap was painted on the ceiling. It captures most evil things. I can no longer leave the silo with it there."

   "I'm so sorry." My heart felt a pinch of sympathy for the monster. "I should probably leave. My mother would be enraged if she knew I was here. Goodbye."

   I sharply turned, but stopped at the sound of the shadow person's voice.

   "Henry. My name is Henry."