17.

Millie's P.O.V

   I switched on the TV to a movie both Mason and I could enjoy. He sat close to me, like how he always did, but I didn't feel any comfort in his touch.

   I tried to readjust, but it wasn't making me feel any better. Mason glanced down at me as I slightly squirmed under his arm.

   "Are you okay?" he questioned, looking a bit hurt.

   I didn't mean to make him feel that way. I don't know what had gotten into me to make me feel so weird. It was like I wanted my own space, and Mason's touch made me feel uneasy.

   My mind didn't focus much on the movie, but more on my feelings. The longer I sat there with Mason, the more I felt a distance in my attraction for him. Of course, I still loved him, but those romantic feelings I thought I had were no where to been found; I just didn't have the spark I felt when...

   Since when?

   Come to think of it, there never was a spark. I had never thought of Mason more than a close friend, and it took me all this time to realize it. My heart ached for him, knowing that he actually had deep feelings for me since he'd mention it so many times. Mason was such a caring and sweet person, but how could I continue on in a relationship I didn't even have to heart to keep?

   The sound of shoes on tile echoed in the front hallway. I peeked over the couch to see my mother at the door, about to go outside. A brown book just caught my eye that somehow seemed familiar. My eyes squinted in suspicion as I slowly rose from the couch. Mason followed my moves, glancing from me to the door.

   "I wonder where my mom is going," I muttered, starting toward the front of the house.

   Mason rushed over to me. "She's probably just going out." His hand gently snaked around my arm as he playfully tugged. Mason's lower lip popped out in a pout. "The movie is getting to the good part, can't we sit down and watch it?"

   I looked at Mason for a second longer before turning back toward the door.

   "I just want to look," I told Mason. My fingers looped around the door handle and swung it open.

   My mom's car still sat in the driveway, engine off. She wasn't even in the driver's seat. Instead, I caught sight of my mother walking through the yard in the direction of the silo. I was practically dragged out into the now gloomy day by my curiosity. The wind had already began to pick up speed and the clouds threatened to break into rain.

   My bare feet stepped into the grass right before I was captured by Mason's arms. "I really don't think we should be out here," he told me, whispering gently. "Plus, your mom seems busy. Let's not bother her."

   I gave into his embrace, relaxing against Mason's chest. "You're right." My light voice was carried by the wind, making it even softer than intended. Mason's arms loosened to lead me inside. He began to reach for my hand, but I dashed off down the yard to the silo before he could reach me. 

   My mom had already disappeared behind the barns. I was desperate to get there in time to see what she was up to.

   "Millie!" Mason yelled out my name. "Don't go out there!"

   It was too late. I had always been just a bit quicker than Mason since we were kids. I sped faster than ever to get there before he could try to hold me back.

   I turned the corner and found my mother had already cracked open the book. Foreign words were leaving her mouth while she looked into the silo's missing siding with disgust. A startling pop echoed inside.

   I caught a glimpse of Henry's paper-like skin and worn out face. He seemed worried. My heart raced at the sight, and another pop sounded. Mason skidded to a stop beside me.

   "Millie, we need to leave!" His hands rested on my shoulders, trying to direct me away. However, I couldn't move.

   My mother must have heard my name because she turned to me. Her expression was horrified.

   Another pop accompanied by a spark inside the silo.

   "What are you doing?" I demanded an answer from her.

   "I'm destroying this beast before it destroys you, dear." Her hair blew across her face as the wind grew harsher. "Once the seal is broken, I can curse it and that thing will be gone forever."

   "You can't kill him!" I screamed. My foot came forward, but Mason still had a grip on my shoulders. "Don't hurt him!"

   "Sweetheart, you can't kill something that's already dead. Monsters deserve to be at rest." Tears welled in her eyes. I could tell she wanted the best for me, but why couldn't she understand that Henry wasn't what she thought he was? "I'm trying to keep you safe," she finished.

   Two pops. Three.

   Then a loud boom.

   We were all thrown back.