Chapter One

Hi all! I've settled on smaller chapters, just so I can update more frequently. If I had done longer chapters I would only be able to update like once a month because of how long it's taking me between work and life. This way I'll be trying to update once a week.

Alright, well, here we go!

Enjoy!

Chapter One:

I said yes. The day that Quinn asked me to marry her—as cliché as it sounds—all those missing pieces in my life fell into place like she was the one to have this whole time. Our relationship hadn't been anything more than one of convince and desperation. She needed an escape and a place to stay for the holidays and I needed a woman to pretend to be my girlfriend. Nothing more complex was supposed to happen; it wasn't a part of the plan. But, I guess, you really can't plan for love. All those cheesy romance movies that I used to make fun of; all those characters I would scoff at for so easily throwing away all their plans for one person; I understood it now. 

            Looking at Quinn across the room, my heart thrummed evenly in my chest, I knew that this curveball that came out of left field was well worth any and all pain I endured.

            Quinn caught my eye and smiled brightly.

            Yeah, well worth it. I smiled back.

            My family was in a rowdy state around us. Champagne was broken out courtesy of Grandpa Alaric. There had been no more than a twenty-minute gap between the proposal and CoCo taking over the wedding planning. My mom joined in, clashing feverishly with CoCo; both trying to one up each other. I considered it comical at the time, because of course my engagement to Quinn was being used as a tug-o-war game between my family members. In hindsight, though, it was far from funny.

            "I'm thinking an outdoor wedding, a nature type setting," CoCo gestured grandly in front of her. My mother scoffed. "Theo and Quinn would look beautiful in white standing amongst earthy-tones. They would really pop."

            "But, imagine them by the ocean!" My mom exclaimed, sending some of her champagne out of her glass. "The sunsetting along the horizon in the background." Her voice became dreamy and far off.

            "Or, maybe," I finally spoke up, "Quinn and I would like to have an input in our own wedding plans." CoCo and my mom turned and looked at me, eyes darting between Quinn and me.

            "You're right, Theodora, you should have a say," My mom said. "Where do you think you'd like to be married?"

            "I—I don't know...yet."

            "Quinn?" CoCo inquired, turning the attention away from me.

            "Oh, um, whichever the two you and CeCe said sounded lovely," Quinn smiled easily.

            "See, Theodora? Quinn agrees with us," My mom's pleased grin dug under my skin.

            I should've known that wasn't going to be the end of it. I thought maybe Quinn was attempting to keep the mood light, the tension low. But that was the start of everything. The beginning of Quinn having only a vested interest in what either my family or I wanted. I never heard about what she wanted or liked. For months after our engagement as the wedding planning fell in full swing. Ideas were thrown around; everyone gave their input. And I mean everyone—Grandma Priscilla, Mitchell, Christopher, Asa, Natasha, even Izzy had her two cents to contribute. My whole family, but Quinn.

            At first, I thought maybe she didn't know what she wanted. Maybe she had never imagined what her wedding day would be like. And, I understood that to a certain degree. But after the first couple weeks, it became apparent that maybe she didn't know what she wanted.