Chapter 19

"Sir, I wouldn't show her that if I were you." Wyatt says from the corner of the doctor's examination room, with his foot propped up against it. What in the world is Wyatt going on about? But I realize what he might be talking about, my eyes go wide with fear making my body sit up in response. 

I put my weight on my good arm then I notice a metal brace siting in Doctor Kemp's lamp, "Oh no." I drag with a worried tone, "No sir, I am not wearing that contraption!" I didn't even want to come to Doctor Kemp, Ethan forced Wyatt into forcing me to come here. This wasn't my choice!! 

"Ms. McNeily, wearing this brace is essential to your healing process-" 

"I don't care! I have my wedding coming soon and I am not wearing that ugly thing in the house of God!" 

Dr. Kemp closes his eyes in patience towards me, "This brace will lesson your healing by more than half the time, it'll help you get back to normal faster. If you don't wear it, you'll be single handed for a year. Now what sounds smarter?" He directs at me, making me angry because I know he is right. 

"I'm sorry, but you'll have to sedate me to put it on." I say stubbornly. 

"Maggie, please!" Wyatt yells at me, earning a stern glare from me. Just before I get the chance to bolt out of here, Wyatt predicts my move, putting his arm over my chest stopping me. 

"Let go, Wyatt!" I struggle against him. As I focus on Wyatt's strong grip I become distracted from Dr. Kemp tying down my left wrist to the chair. "What are you doing?!" I yell at him, "I am the sheriffs daughter! Release me!" I say trying to get my hand loose. 

Wyatt aggressively pushes down on my chest, getting in my face, "Maggie stop! If you don't quit it, I'll tie down the other hand and go fetch your bounty hunter of a fiance." He threatens. 

If Weston comes here, I know I'll end up being in the brace no matter what because he'll over power me without question. I also know that Weston is also the only man who isn't afraid to put me in my place, and he's only down the street from us.

"Damn you, Wyatt." I say, laying back on the chair, giving up my broken arm to the doctor. 

"Good choice, Ms. McNeily." Dr. Kemp mutters bitterly and I give him a hasty glare, he does not want to increase my anger towards him. 

I was humiliated walking down the main strip of my little town, everyone stared at the ugly, cold metal brace that covered half my arm. Children even ran away from the sight of it, most likely thinking I was the monster they dreamed of. The prosperous wives laughed at me and their husbands grimaced, even the drunk made a fool out of me. Shouldn't they be feeling sorry for me? I was temporally handicapped, meaning a percentage of their resources found in the town weren't going to be there, because I wouldn't be able to supply it. 

Delicious milk from my cows, eggs from my chickens, cheese from the chickens, cheese/soap from the goats. I'll have to hire some idiot to do it for me!

"Give me the sling." I mutter to Wyatt as we pass a couple ladies talking with their hand covering their mouths. 

"Told you." Wyatt slyly smiles, knowing he was right, again. I put the sling strap around my head and slide my hand carefully into the pocket, so my hand can rest comfortably and be out of harms way. Also it does hide the ugly thing, but hinders my movement a lot so that's why I took it off immediately when we left Doctor Kemp's. But I guess I'll just have to deal with it and shut up. 

"I bet you've just had a hay day with me today." I say coldly to Wyatt, knowing he is enjoying me being so annoyed and irritated. 

When I don't hear Wyatt pass a sarcastic comment, I look up to him to see him looking down at me. "Now Maggie, this is just a regular day with you."