Chapter 1

"We made a bond from the very beginning. I found my homey and my bestfriend..."

No Matter What, Future

I'm in the grocery store doing a little shopping for the small party I'm having tonight. I do a mental rundown of what I need and what I have in the basket. Chips? Check. Dip? Check? Soda? Check. Cake and ice cream? Double check. Oreos? Nada.

I walk down the cookie isle in search of the oreo cookies. I try to grab the cookies but they are out of my reach. "Who puts Oreos on the top shelf?" I said it to myself but I guess he heard me.

"Lemme get that for you."

"Thanks. Could you get an extra pack, please?"

"Sure." He hands me the cookies and smiles. "Sucks being short, huh?"

I smile back. " I for one, am not short."

"Oh really? Then what are you?" He says it teasingly.

"I'm funsized."

"And I'm Shaun. Nice to meet you Funsize."

"The names Monica."

"Okay, Monica. Are you single?"

"It depends. Whose asking?"

"A friend who happens to be curious about your relationship status."

"Well in that case. Yes I just so happen to be single."

"That's what's up. So, when is your birthday?"

"Tomorrow, but I'm having a party tonight if you want to drop by."

"Yeah. Okay. Are you not doing anything tomorrow night?"

"I never said that. Me and the girls are going to the club. It will be my first time not sneaking in. Turning 21 has its perks."

"Definately. I turned 21 in March."

"You got me beat by a couple of months."

We both laugh. "What club you going to?"

"We don't know yet. We were going to discuss it tonight after the party."

Someone yanks my arm. "Uhmmm, hellooooo? Did somebody forget that we still have to buy outfits for tonight and tomorrow night? Let's go Monica." Anita pauses and looks at Shaun, then her gaze returns back to me. "New question. Do you recognized who this guy is?"

Before I say anything he gives Anita a hug. "What's up cuzzo?"

"Don't cuzzo me."

"Looks like we have a mutual friend." His words are directed towards me.

"Yeah I guess so. See you tonight Shaun." I start to walk off and Anita grabs me again.

"Lemme get yall caught up to what's going on since niether of yall get it." We both look at her with confused eyes. "Monica, do you remember dating someone on and off for 5 years? Mind you this person was talker than you, darker than you, and he played football since middle school. Not to mention the 8 times you were together and the several times you cried over him."

"Yeah but I don't see what that has to do with--"

"Shaun, do you remember a short light skinned girl that had long dreads? A girl who even after you would break up with her you still had the nerve to get jealous of the guys she would talk to. And on top of that she forgave you for cheating on numerous occasions."

"I think I would recognize my ex." Shaun stated.

"This only happened with one person yall dated. Even when you and that person wernt together, what did yall call each other?"

"Bae." Shaun and I said it at the same time.

I look at Anita. "That doesn't mean anything."

"Talk about denial." She turned towards Shaun. "What is your Bae's fav color?"

"Blue."

"What jersey number was your Bae in middle school?"

"51."

"When is your Bae birthday?"

"November 12."

"And yours?"

"March 14."

"My point proven."

I roll my eyes at her. "Qua'shaun is in Charlotte playing for the Panthers. That's how know it ain't him. He wouldn't be in Miami even in the off season. He probaly spoiling a thot right now anyway."

"Uhmm." He shifts from one foot to the other. "My name is Qua'shaun, I just go by Shaun now."

I stare at him and that's when I notice it. He is my Bae. "Again. My point proven. Now let's go." She starts pulling me with her.

Qua grabs my hand. "I'm sorry, Monica. For everything."

My eyes strayed to water and I was about to give him a hug but Anita was being too persistent.