Chapter 2- The Audition

So the day has finally come that I have waited for almost 17 hours! It's a beautiful Tuesday morning I am going to wear my favourite Sea green shirt that I consider lucky for some reason and black jeans. I'm slightly nervous but more excited about the audition, which I haven't told mom anything about yet, coz if I do that is all she will be thinking about while she writes her book, oh, I am sorry, I forgot to give you details about my mother, she is a single parent since dad died and left us 5 years ago when I was only 14 years old. She has taken care of me all by herself, she is a successful inspirational writer. I think she gets her content from her experience of life, she has been through so much after all. She has recently started writing another book, she says this one is especially for the youngsters who have lost their way because of all the distractions, I am eagerly waiting for this one. 

"Sweetie,  are you ready yet? mum asked. "Yes, Yes, I am coming" I screamed as I ran down the stairs towards the dining hall.
"Burrito! Yummy!" I said as I grabbed the burrito she had already packed for me in a foil and rushed towards the door, "I love you mum, see you after!" I said as I closed the door behind me. As I was about to get on the bus, I heard mum scream from the door " I love you too! Have a great day sweetie!"

I walked into the auditorium at 6:45 am,  there aren't many participants, mostly auditors, I think. The Professor who spoke to me yesterday stood there With a few more people. I walked up to him, and surprisingly he instantly recognized me and said "Grace, would you like to audition right now? If you are ready?" 

I smiled and nodded, walking up to the stage I thought of what I would say now. The audition information brochure said we could prepare a minute monologue and so I did, "Hi, Good Morning, I hope all have a great day today and learn something new and amazing! Don't forget to drink water in between!" I knew what I said was abrupt but I wanted to show them the modulations in my voice so I choose four emotions, Confidence, Joy, Excitement and Calm.

"That will be enough, we just wanted to hear your voice and the confidence. We are very impressed, I am sure you'll have more to talk about every Friday!" said the Prof. "Sir, so am I selected? and I am so sorry, but I don't know your name." I replied. "Oh yes, My name is Andrew Jefferson, and I had selected you yesterday itself, just wanted you to speak in front of the other committee members so that they would agree with me and they do. So, Congratulations. You start this Friday, slot 4:00 pm to 4:45 pm. Is that okay?" Mr Jefferson said. I was honestly stunned and extremely overwhelmed but I could only manage to say," Yes, Sir, Yes, absolutely. I am ready for this. Any formalities?" 

"Hahaha, I'll take all those words as your way of expressing excitement. Yes, fill this form and we are good to go. Also, your identity can be kept a secret, just think of a name you can use to refer to as" Prof said. "Now go to your class before everyone figures it out" he added.

I didn't say anything else, I just smiled and happily walked out of the auditorium towards my class. As I walked inside the class, I saw him, Rags, he was on the second bench, well that is actually surprising, but there sat the answer to my question sat next to him, his sister. She must've forced him to sit there, he was fixing his hair while she was trying to spoil it, they are so cute. I stood for a minute almost I think like an Idiot watching the siblings have an adorable fight. All of a sudden Raghav looked up and caught me staring, I obviously didn't have to but I spoke in my defence "Hi, I am from this class" I said and released the next instant that I made a fool of myself. "She's Grace" Kaira said pointing at me, "I know this weirdo, saw her yesterday." she said, taking a chewing gum out of her shirt pocket and putting it in her mouth.  "Uhg. Hi. Sorry." I managed to say. "Hey, Hi I am Raghav, please don't mind my sister, she is like this, a little too honest. Why don't you join us?" Raghav said. The grey hoodie and track pants he wears suits him so well, I am sure all clothes do, *wow, I am blinded by his looks* but he wasn't only gorgeous he was also so kind and polite, but I definitely didn't like his sister. I smiled at him and sat next to Kaira. He looked over and smiled back, then we went back to paying attention to the new class teacher who just walked in. For the next hour, we reintroduced ourselves and got an induction about the subjects we will have for this Semester. Our course was Biotechnology, so would mainly deal with Biology that was also my favourite subject. Our Introduction was over in the first half, we were then asked to check out the cafeteria and later in the second half, venture on our own, check out the facilities that interest us. Kaira, Raghav and I decided to discover the rest together. Raghav was here because he needs a degree, but his real dream is to play Badminton, whereas Kaira didn't say anything about herself, in fact, nothing at all. All I know is, she learns kickboxing that also Raghav told me while we strolled around the campus. I learned a few more things about Raghav, but not so much about Kaira except when rags mentioned her. I shared my bit also, told them about how I wanted to become a biologist, and love playing sports and loved to eat. Raghav and I were bonding well, but somewhere I felt bad for not being able to get through to Kaira. I directly asked her, "Hey, I know I can be annoying but why don't you talk at least a little? Say, anything, not literally the word through"

 "I was going to say anything but now I can't do that" She said and smiled. I didn't say anything after that. "Did you just smile sis? Hey Grace, this is huge, trust me" Raghav said, all cheery. "No, Can we eat? Grace must be hungry?" Kaira said looking at me, I simply nodded, happy that Kaira may not be a speaker but surely is a good listener. We were walking to the Cafeteria when I gathered the courage to ask Kiara, "Why are you so secretive, what are you scared of revealing?" I definitely chose the wrong words because what happened next changed everything. EVERYTHING.