CHAPTER THREE ~ THE POLLYWOG

Word Count: 2934 

~~~

     "You should tell mom." I state softly from besides Will on his bed. We had gotten home about an hour ago. I tried sleeping at first, but I couldn't. So I ended up here. Which isn't too unusual, when we were little, we always wanted to be together. Things changed after dad left though.

     "I'm fine, Frankie." Will signs, but from the tug that happens every so often on the string, I know he isn't. 

     "You're suppose to tell her when it happens."  

     "I know." 

     We both go quiet after this. I don't know if it's because neither of us know what to do or if it's because he doesn't want to talk anymore. So, I accept the silence. I swear I've memorized the ceiling tiles to his bedroom by now. I can spot every familiar pattern and water stain there is. From the one just in front of his door to the one on by his window. 

     Eventually, when I start to get tired, I find Will's hand. It's clammy and too warm, but I'm sure mine isn't any better. He doesn't do anything, just squeezes my hand lightly. Then I close my eyes and pray for sleep.

~~~

     "Have you seen them?" Mom yells from the living room, where she is lifting the couch pillows to look under them.

     "We're looking mom." Jonathan calls back and I mutter some form of an agreement as I check the pockets of every jacket that's out. 

     "A-ha!" Bob rushes into the kitchen where we all are gathered with a proud grin. "Found 'em! Hiding under some jeans, sneaky littler buggers." 

     "Thank you. Thank you." Mom takes the keys before kissing his cheek. "You're a life saver." 

     I fake gag and Jonathan and Will both laugh. 

     "Can you take Will and Frankie to school today?" Mom asks Jonathan as she walks over to us. "I cannot be late again."

     "He's staying over now?" Jonathan asks instead of giving an answer as he looks past mom to where Bob is standing by the fridge. 

    "Can you just take them, please?" 

     "I can take them." Bob jumps in and we all turn to look at him, he just shrugs. 

     "Will you make sure they gets in okay?" 

     "Yeah, of course."

     "Can't we just bike?" I ask and mom gives me a look that answers without her saying anything.  

     "What do ya say, guys? Wanna go for a ride in the Bobmobile?" 

     Will and I both stare before looking at mom. She just shrugs.

~~~

     "I still don't get why they call him Zombie boy." Max says, before shrugging. "I mean, I get it. He got lost in the woods for a week, but why is he a zombie? Because everyone thought he was dead?"  

     "Don't call him that." I snap, and the shock that widens Max's eyes makes me pause before I look forward again. "I'm sorry, just, just don't call Will that." 

     "I won't. Sorry."

     "We had a funeral for him and everything." I say slowly, trying to answer her question without saying too much.