CHAPTER SEVEN ~ THE MIND FLAYER PART ONE

Word Count: 3292 

Changes were made in the last chapter, we well as a few to this one, for any who have read thus far. I thought I had changed it before I had published,  but it looks like my changes didn't save. Francis does not have a leg injury in this chapter nor  does she (now) in the last. Sorry for any confusion.

~~~

     "You're positive that was Dart?" Lucas asks Dustin as we walk along the old train tracks.

     "Yes. He had the same exact yellow pattern on his butt." 

      "He was tiny two days ago." Max says from beside me. We're still holding hands. When I think about that it makes me nervous but it's also really calming, almost. It's like having an anchor to keep from floating off into my own head. I keep telling myself that she's just kept ahold of me to make sure I don't trip or something, though. It helps keep that warmth from taking over my face. Besides, why else would she still being holding my hand for?

     "Well, he's molted three times already."

     "Malted?" I scrunch up my nose at the word.

     "Molted." Dustin corrects before he continues. "Shed his skin to make room for growth like hornworms."

      "Well, when's he gonna molt again?" Max asks,

     "It's gotta be soon. When he does, he'll be fully grown, or close to it. So will his friends."

     "Yeah, and he's gonna eat a lot more than cats." Steve mutter under his breath.

     "Wait, cats?" I look up and Lucas stopped Dustin. 

     "Dart ate a cat?" Lucas asks.

     "No, what? No." 

     "What are you talking about? He ate Mews." Steve stares at Dustin in confusion. 

    "He ate Mews?" I ask quickly and look at the boy.

     "Mews. Who's Mews?" Max asks then, glancing around between us all.

     "It's Dustin's cat." 

      "Steve!"

      "So you did keep him." I state, shaking my head as Lucas shoves Dustin's shoulder. 

     Dustin stutters out several failed nos before finally giving in. "He missed me. He wanted to come home."

     "Bullshit!" Lucas shakes his head.

     "I didn't know he was a Demogorgon, okay?" 

      "So now you admit it?"

      "Guys, who cares?" Max tries to cut in, "We have to go." 

      "I care!" Lucas snaps and looks back to Dustin. "You put the party in jeopardy! You broke the rule of law!"

     "Well so did Frankie!" Dustin snaps and before I can even question him, he continues, pointing the flashlight right in Max's face as he does. "She told a stranger the truth!"

     "A stranger!" Max steps towards the boys and drops my hand. 

     "Guys!" Steve yells for, what might be, the third time, finally catching everyone's attention When we all go quiet and listen, we hear the distant but familiar growls off to the left of the tracks. The boys all rush off and I follow after them. 

     "No, no, no. Hey, guys, why are you going towards the sound?" Max yells after us but when she doesn't get a response, she follows too.

     After tracking a few minutes through the trees, we come to the top of a hill. Below us is more woods, but besides that, it's too dark to see. Lucas pulls out his binoculars and scans the area before he slowly lowers them again.