CHAPTER 9: FOUR 4 LETTER WORDS

"I don't know which school you're used to, but over here we have rules we follow."

The Dean's office reflected that statement. His room was decorated with laws framed like diplomas.

"No chewing gum in class."

"Don't kill your comrades during training."

"Never skip mass."

"No drugs of any kind are allowed on this campus."

"No defecating in the urinals." (The very fact that was a thing shows you how stupid boys can be sometimes.)

But framed above the desk behind the Dean was another rule that struck a chord with Luke. "There are four 4 letter words that are not allowed at this school: can't, won't, quit, & fail."

The Dean snapped his fingers and brought Luke's attention to another rule. "Don't use abilities or weapons to attack comrades outside of combat practice."

The Dean tapped on the frame. "This rule you violated today." Then he pulled out a planner with the seal of the school on the cover. Along with the months and time slots for classes was the student handbook that listed all the laws the school had. It went on for pages and pages. "I suggest you read through it to avoid any further instances Luke."

"Sorry sir," Luke said. Of course, he wanted to defend himself. It was George who started it after all, but he was new here and didn't want to start off on a bad foot bickering with the Dean.

But the Dean had been at this job for a very, very long time. "I know George was the instigator, but I need you to rise above him. He's a tough nut to crack."

Luke noticed how calm the Dean had gotten in his office. Either the face in the mess hall was an act, or he was cutting Luke some slack. "But sir, I can't control it. The fire..."

The Dean ticked his teeth like a grandfather clock. He pointed at the rule above his head. "There's no can't. You do. You are the product of angels long ago who couldn't procreate but managed to do so anyway. You summoned fire from your hand that humans shouldn't be able to do, but you did so anyway. Luke, you're a testament to the fact that the impossible can become possible. Never say you can't do anything. Do you understand me?"

He ended with a sharp glare that made Luke shudder.

"Yes sir."

"Good, now you're a student at SGA. We are one of a select number of schools that train special students gifted with the Nef chromosome to utilize their abilities to fight on God's side in the inevitable war against Satan and his demons."

If Luke had been told this a month or two ago, he'd probably think the Dean was crazy. But he had seen a demon. In fact, he fought three of them. Heck, he even went out with a demon named Lilith unknowingly (long story).

But even though Luke acknowledged that demons existed, he never really thought about the war that may occur between angels and demons, especially since he has never seen an angel before.

Or at least doesn't remember seeing an angel.

"You'll learn in history class how our kind came about. Now, Kevin tells me that you may belong to House Uriel. Although we've never had a student who truly belongs to House Uriel, since Uriel never adopts Nefs, the exhibition of fire is a promising sign. But, there's one other element you would need to exhibit to prove you're the real deal."

Before the Dean could go any further, church bells rang like giant gongs across campus.

"Time for class. You have math first, correct?"

Luke pulled out his folded schedule and examined it. He nodded.

"Then don't be late. I'll know if you show up late to class. I doubt you'll want to join George in JUG."

Luke probably should've stayed quiet and left, but he couldn't help wondering what the heck JUG meant. "Is JUG like detention."

"You could call it that. Ask the students about JUG and why you don't want to be drinking from this cup."

The Dean got up and opened the door, signaling for Luke to get out of his office.

Waiting for him outside was Sirius. Luke wasn't sure if he was happy to see his roommate or disappointed that he hadn't stepped in to help out with the George situation and instead allowed Alpha to do it instead.

"Survived your first trip to the Dean's office," he had the nerve to say.

"No thanks to you," Luke fumed.

"Sorry I didn't step in, but I never like it when other people fight my battles for me."

"There's a difference between fighting my battles and helping me," Luke said.

"True," he said. "But it looked like you had it handled. Now come on. We're going to be late for math, and we don't want JUG."

Sirius walked ahead, and Luke after him. "What does that even mean?"

Sirius pronounced each word like a politician ending a speech. "Justice Under God."

"A pretty intense way to call detention," Luke said.

Sirius laughed. "Just don't get it if you know what's best for you."

The two of them cut across campus and appeared in their math classroom which was filled with about twenty students. Luke took his seat next to Sirius.

Luke whispered to Sirius, "Where's Alpha?"

"He's in a lower class with the younger children."

Storming into the room with his hands cradling a stack of papers was the Irishman who made ice freeze. He handed out the worksheets to the class one by one and greeted each student with a handshake.

"Good morning Luke," Dean Ammon said. "Long time no see."