CHAPTER 12: THE WATCHERS AND ANGEL BABIES

When you serve in the army of God to fight evil, calling your leader stupid is probably a good way to get you a one-way ticket to Hell. Lucky for Sirius, the bell rang, and they had mass afterwards for him to sort through his eschatological dilemma.

Meanwhile, Luke was left pretty impressed at how vocal Sirius was in class. He wasn't afraid to challenge the norm and raise objections. Luke respected him for it, although he'll probably keep a couple of feet away from him in case God smites Sirius with a lightning bolt for talking trash about Him.

Mass, AKA Luke's time for imagination land, was held in the main cathedral at campus with a massive cross that stood like a tower atop the throne-shaped foundation. The inside was decorated with stained glass windows of Jesus's life and murals of saints and angels.

Mass was always a drag for Luke. The mass celebrated the tradition of Jesus breaking bread with his bros at the Last Supper before he sacrificed himself for humanity. Luke attended more so out of a moral obligation than a personal want. Why go to mass to pray when he could pray at home or practically anywhere? Half of the students thought the same. Many were sleeping and those who were awake were repeating responses like robots. But it was a law—the third commandment God gave Moses said to get your ass to mass on the Sabbath. Still, was it necessary to go to mass every damn day? The Sabbath was Sunday, not Monday to Sunday.

After mass, Luke was glad to rejoin his friends for History class. This was the class he had been looking forward to—finally he can find out how he was connected to the angels.

By now, Luke had stuck around with Sirius, Henry, Jordan, and Kallup. He wondered where they had gone during the mass. Henry and Kallup smelled like they had been rolling around in a burning bush and an ash pit until they sprayed themselves with cologne. They said they usually skip mass and chill around campus but gave no other details, or at least none that Luke didn't already figure out (#420).

Jordan meanwhile had gone to a section of the massive cathedral dedicated to the celebration of ceremonies from other Abrahamic religions. A mini mosque and synagogue were built as auxiliary sections on the sides of the church that stuck out like curved bubbles.

Entering the classroom was an old man who wore a suit and tie. He had strings of hair on his head and was chewing on a pen as he walked into the classroom with a briefcase. He laid the case on the table and took out a piece of chalk, turning the whiteboard over to the chalk side, and making the classroom appear old school.

With his back to the class he started writing on the board. The class was a bit rowdy, and the teacher allowed his calm voice to bounce off of the board. "When I turn back around the class will be silent."

The minute he spoke, the class started settling down. However, two kids on the other side of the room were giggling at a hole in the back of the teacher's pants that exposed his blue boxers. One of the kids spit into his hand and instantly froze the saliva into a sharp needle. He then took a straw and shot the dart at the teacher's backside.

Bullseye.

The chalk the teacher was writing with cracked in half and fell to the ground. The boys pretended they were opening up their textbooks.

A cold air blew into the room through a window that had just been pushed opened by a frosty chill. The wind started to speed up and suddenly, the two boys were yanked up from their desks and tossed out the window and into a snowbank below. As quickly as it happened, the cold chill was vacuumed out of the classroom and the window shut tight behind it.

Meanwhile, the teacher kept writing on the board.

Luke looked to Sirius with a face that was about as confused and scared as if he had just seen a killer clown sweep into the classroom while riding a unicorn to kidnap some students. "Did he...?"