T. Al-Jamil

Full Name: Tahani Al-Jamil

Birthday: UnKnown

Status: Deceased

Age: UnKnown

Other Names:
Rhonda Mumps
Mean Giraffe
Sexy Giraffe
Sexy Skyscraper
Hot Stuff
Gorgeous

Hair: Black

Eyes: Dark Brown

Gender: Female

From:
England and various places around the world (before death)

Neighborhood 12358W (Season 1-2)

Sydney, Australia (Season 3)

Occupation:
Self-help author

NPO fundraiser

Party Planner

Model

Museum Curator

Baz Luhrmann's Muse

Family:
Kamilah Al-Jamil
(sister)

Manisha Al-Jamil
(Deceased mother)

Waqas Al-Jamil
(Deceased father)

Princess Diana
(Deceased godmother)

Dame Maggie Smith
(godmother)

Paul McCartney
(godfather)

Donkey Doug
(father-in-law)

Romantic Relationships:
Jason Mendoza
(flirtation/afterlife ex-boyfriend/platonic husband)

Ryan Gosling
(hook-ups)

Larry Hemsworth
(Ex-fiancé)

Friends:
Eleanor Shellstrop
Chidi Anagonye
Jason Mendoza
Michael
Janet

Played by:
Jameela Jamil
GraceAnne Pullappally (child)

Personality: Tahani is Pakistani-English. She was born in Pakistan and raised in high society England and consequently was very well educated. In her life and afterlife, she is regarded as highly intelligent, a brilliant conversationalist, and a wonderful hostess. One of her most impressive achievements was raising sixty billion dollars for a non-profit organization. She claims to have attended an English finishing school, the Hertfordshire School for Expressionless Girls, before studying at Oxford University and the Sorbonne in Paris, France. In The Good Place, she is seen as an overly good person which makes Eleanor Shellstrop insecure. She frequently name-drops celebrities, implying each one has a personal connection to her.

Origin: In her life she did many good things, but the anguish of being overlooked by her parents and overshadowed by her younger sister Kamilah resulted in a lifelong bitter jealousy. Although her actions were mostly good, her motivations were corrupt which resulted in her being sent to the Bad Place. For being a sophisticated socialite, her death was quite unexpected. When her sister, Kamilah, was being inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in 2016, Tahani sneaked into the party as a server. After confronting her sister and being told that she was not thought about often, she toppled a statue of her sister, causing it to tip over and fall on her. In the Season 2 finale, Michael goes back in time and pushes Tahani out of the way of the falling Kamilah statue. The near-death experience causes her to change her perception of life. After serving a monk for about a year, she wrote a self-help/autobiographical book titled Get out of the Spotlight. After the dramatic success of her book, Tahani moved to Sydney, Australia to join a social study led by Chidi Anagonye and Simone Garnett at St. John's University. There, she meets Eleanor Shellstrop and Jason Mendoza, other participants of the experiment. After Michael reveals the group's experiences in the afterlife, Janet is forced to take Tahani, Eleanor, Chidi, and Jason into her void, effectively ending their lives on Earth once more.

Facts: At one point during her life, Tahani was Baz Luhrmann's muse. Tahani was once asked by Anderson Cooper to co-host Anderson Cooper 360. Prior to meeting Eleanor Shellstrop, Tahani had supposedly never heard of Wal-Mart. It's possible that she may have unknowingly crossed paths with Chidi Anagonye while studying at the Sorbonne, as Chidi was a tutor there for a time. In the original casting announcement, the character was named Tessa. On the surface Tahani appears to be a good, almost perfect person, if not a little self involved. It is because of her strong desire for attention and approval from her parents that caused her to do all her good acts with the wrong motivation, landing her in The Bad Place. Because all of her good deeds were done out of selfish desire (one-upping her sister and attempting to make her parents proud,) and not of selflessness, her actions did not count towards her final score in life, which lead her to her placement in the bad place created by Michael. During the first time the group realizes they are in the bad place, Tahani admits that she never really cared whether her actions had helped people or not, or even that they were suffering in the first place. Her first name means Congratulations and her last name means Beautiful. She died by being crushed to death by a statue of her sister Kamilah. She was on the cover of a magazine that was next to one Eleanor was reading before her (Eleanor's) death scene. She has stated that it was her goal to make out with Ryan Gosling at the Met Gala and that she has accomplished that goal more than once.