Chapter 30: Fall

"Is it done yet?"

"It'll still be five more minutes. Be patient, it'll be worth it, trust me."

"I didn't expect a hot pot though. When did you get everything?"

The group sat on the top of the hill which looked over the ghost town, circled around a large fire with a bubbling pot in the center. Jinn's 'grand meal' was certainly a good choice; disliking hotpot was almost impossible, especially considering the scarcity of meat. Morma was certainly excited, fidgeting a little as she forced the drool back into her mouth. Carte was uncharacteristically ecstatic alongside her; distracted by the bubbling of the pot. Vant seemed somewhat mellow, simply enjoying the smell while Fiara looked on, not quite sure of what to make of Carte's reaction. Jinn occasionally checked the pot while enjoying everyone's company, his hearty laugh echoing throughout the night.

"I already brought the pot with me and I snuck out while we were in town to get the ingredients. This is the highest quality meat I could get, so you'd better savour it."

"Meat!"

Morma raised her arms up into the air, her posture victorious despite not having done anything other than watch.

"I like you attitude, kid. Have you ever considered learning levitation magic? I don't mind mentoring you on how to fling weapons around with your mind."

"Get in line, old man. Everyone wants me as an apprentice."

Morma puffed out her chest, arms in fists at her hips, head above the clouds. They were brought back when Vant ruffled up her hair, chuckling as her hands shot up to try and push him away.

"It just means you're talented."

"Then treat me like an adult!"

"When you hit thirteen, I will."

Morma punched Vant in the side, pouting as she did so, the man unphased from her assault. Sensing the aggression, Carte spoke, doing his best to divert the conversation a little.

"I wouldn't recommend levitating weapons for you, Morma. You might accidentally drop weapons on yourself."

"Wh..."

Morma turned, seeming insulted for a moment before coming to the same realisation that Carte did. Jinn seemed confused for a moment, which Carte picked up on.

"Morma is like a vacuum for mana, including her own. Just by being around her, she can negate mana spells."

Carte snapped his fingers and a ball of light floated out from his hands, slowly making its way towards Morma. As it came closer to her, it suddenly lurched in closer, dissipating as it touched her skin.

"That makes sense. I thought it was difficult to lift you up, but I chalked it up to my age."

Jinn stroked his stubble, seemingly somewhat intrigued by Morma's condition.

"It's more impressive that you can lift her up at all."

"Why thank you."

After Jinn bowed his head slightly, he opened up the lid of the hotpot for a moment, smiling a little once he saw what was inside.

"It's coming along nicely."

Sensing an excuse to escape the conversation, Greva stood up suddenly, looking towards Jinn like a nervous rabbit.

"I'll go get us some cutlery. I assume you have something prepared, Jinn?"

"Ah, yes. Just go check my bag."

Without needing to ask, Carte summoned a ball of light which floated a little bit above her shoulder. His eyes were glued to the pot, but it seemed that he was aware enough to understand that what she was doing was necessary for the meal.