Part 1

Waking up this morning gave you quite the startle. Usually you're unfazed by most (with some uh....ahem  "exceptions"), but the odd dream you had last night left the chill of the metal table you were strapped to stuck to your skin.

You turn up the heat of the shower. Flinching slightly, you bear the burning, desperately wanting to wash away the feeling in your stomach.

You sigh and wash the remainder of the soap off your body and head out.

Draping a towel over your body, you head out the bathroom and into your bedroom. You throw some comfortable clothes on and head out.

Brushing your hair and putting on your glasses, you take a new refreshed breath.

"Ok!" you exclaim clasping your hands and startling the boy on the couch. "Shall we?"

"You were taking so long I was getting kinda... bonely..." Sans winks and lazily makes his way off the couch.

Now more yourself, you roll your eyes and open the door, stepping aside.

"After you."

He steps outside and you follow, locking the door behind you.

"So, where to?" You look to Sans for temporary guidance, realizing you don't actually know where it is he was going.

He pulls several random trinkets out of his seemingly chasmic pockets. "Deliveries."

He pushes his hands back into his pockets and starts walking down the road. Only slightly confused, you trail after him.

As he goes to certain addresses, you admire the small town. A snow plow drives by, but to no avail. A fresh blanket of snow seems to magically drop back into its path.

You smell the lake as you approach it, watching the fisherman and looking out dazed into the trees.

Sans nudges you, "yo...! ... you good? you seem... out of it."

You shrug, trying to shake off your gaze. "takes a while to work I guess...." you mumble under your breath in regards to your replenished medicine.

It had been days since you left your house, a week since you last took your medication. These were the usual side effects but they felt bigger now. Greater.

Stronger...

You always felt at least a little clouded but now it feels like a fog... And the something underneath... you can't speak for...

Snapping back into reality, you sigh solemnly. The once lovely, bustling town was... quiet. There was an epidemic.... and it was drastic.

It took lives... You look back at Sans, happy to see him well but knowing the angst he's hiding underneath.

That disease... it's what killed Papyrus... and your father... It's why you took medication-... and why Sans was human.

It was why Alphys never left her lab anymore. It was why Undyne quit being a guard.

It wiped out a third of snowdin.... at least...

It ... was why Gaster was back.... without Sans's powers...

It's why no one's seen Toriel for.... God know how long...

Several things came from the spread of the virus before Gaster and Alphys came up with the cure and vaccine, confusion being one of them.

The aftermath left you with... mixed emotions.

You could never be completely sure Sans was ever happy anymore.

Or at least... just not numb...

As you're again lost in your thoughts trailing absentmindedly behind Sans, you find yourself in front of his house.

He opens the door and is immediately bombarded by a small child.

Their name was Frisk, and they had been adopted into Sans's life for ....reasons. Several reasons. That only few knew of.

And - whether it was a facade or not - keeping Sans happy was one of them. Happy... or at least stable.

Grounded.

To give new purpose...

When they had finished embracing Sans, they moved on to you. You smile and pick them up, squeezing them tightly before putting them on your hip.

"You know what," Frisk starts, giggling. "I think you're better than Sans."

You smile gently in response, enjoying the praise and comfort of the small child.

You lean over to Sans and mumble "that's a point for me."

He scoffs and shuffles to the kitchen.

You properly walk into the house and close the front door behind you, placing the child behind you.

As you walk in, you catch yourself looking around. The place is pretty clean, aside from the occasional glitter and a sock.

At least some things stayed consistent, you thought wearily.

"House's uh... pretty quiet man."

Whatever Sans was doing in the kitchen, he froze. As if on cue, Frisk grasps his leg and looks up at him smiling. "Y-yeah... I guess so..."

You knew Gaster was gone. You knew Sans was lying about the medicine. He had probably snuck down into the lab and done his best to whip something up based on that he's seen.

You knew, but you played along. For his sake.

After losing people left and right, you learned that sometimes facades can be the strongest truths.

As Sans rummages through the fridge, Frisk tries for the millionth time to convince you to sleep over.

"Please." They look at you with the widest eyes they can muster, and though it chalks up to be regular seeming open eyes, it says a lot for Frisk's someone stoic disposition.

"Pleeeeeeaaaaase," they whine.

Then again, being around Sans has brought them into a much more um... 'louder' light.

"Hmm.." You look to Sans for support. He avoids your eyes.

"I uh... don't have any problems with it kiddo...." He blushes slightly and you feel your jaw drop.

You try to look him in the eyes, tons of (valid) excuses racing through your thoughts.

He shrugs, still looking away. "Dunno, could be good for them..."

You were lost as to who was the 'kiddo' in this instance...

Regardless, you were speechless. Not that you could defend your case, really.

Your landlord checks your apartment, so no need to worry about robbers. Sans never really did have 'parents', and even if you count Gaster he won't be coming any time soon.

So why couldn't you sleep over? You glance at the cute boy in front of you and feel heat rise to your face.

Ah. That.