Chapter 19: Claudio Industries

Five minutes. I've been waiting for five minutes here on this bed. I tried to break free, but it broke my circulation more. My feet were tied to the bottom of the bed, glued. I peered over to the surgical tools on the table behind me, maybe I could get one of the knives to cut myself free.
Just as I was reaching out, Pedro and his men came in whispering in Spanish. I knew a little myself, so I said unexpectedly, "Dejo yo afuera niños."
They became silent. Pedro laughed. "She knows Spanish mi amigos. She's practically Mexican!" They all rushed to laughter. One of the men grabbed gloves and put them on. He grabbed the knife and waited for Pedro to begin interrogating. I've been through this before, I know I'll be okay.
"Who are you working for?" He yelled into my face. I began to laugh. "What is this? Some kind of joke to you, lady?" I tried to hold it in, but I cried out laughter once more.
"You have a lot of nose hair. You know that, right?" His face formed to a red tomato. He signaled his hand to the doctor. He cut open my shirt and began to cut.
"Wait!" I cried. I could blame this on someone else... then if I did, they would leave me be and try to find the other spies. "I work for Claudio Industries. I can get my head on the phone I swear!"
    They eyed each other. They thought they knew the truth.
   "Tell you what," Pedro said. "You put me on the phone with this guy of Claudio Industries, and I'll let you go." He paused. "You better not be bluffing to me."
   I nodded and smiled innocently. He gave me a burner phone. I started dialing SR. Maybe if they saw me talking like they were someone else, they could follow along. Thank god Rose wouldn't be picking up the phone, she would ruin it for all of us.
    "Hello? Who is this?" They said. It was either Caleb or Toby.
     "We have Ava here. We need to talk to the head of Claudio Industries please. We have to discuss with him." He grinned psychotically. Pedro motioned his hand to the men in the room with him. They walked out and the doctor stayed to watch me.
"Please sir.. don't let me die." I whined. "I'm so young, I haven't done much at all! I didn't want to be wrapped up in all of this. You have to understand!"
He frowned. "I'm sorry, I have to do my job." The doctor cleaned the tools and sharpened them.
"C- can I tell you something, sir?" I whispered.
"Hm?" He seemed confused.
"Come close, it's a secret. If I die, I need to tell someone my secret." I paused. "Please sir!"
He nodded and came closer to me.
"I just wanted to say, sir......"
I bashed my head into his skull. He dropped the knife on the bed and fell to the ground. I wiggled to the knife and grabbed it with my fingers. I cut myself free and saw a vent I could escape from.
As I was opening the vent Pedro opened the door and screamed, "HEY GET BACK HERE!" I threw the vent closer at his arm and it slit deep. I crawled through the vent which led me to an intersection. When I looked left, I heard Rose.
    "Please! I didn't do anything! Please don't let me die!" She screamed. A saw turned on.
I crawled over to the vent and peeked out.
   "I can't stop this. I'm sorry." The doctor motioned the saw towards her stomach.
   This can't be happening. "NO! PLEASE NOO!"
    Blood spilled over the floor. Rose's screaming suddenly stopped. Her arms stopped moving and dropped by her sides. Her head turned and acted as if it was brain dead. Her last breath exhaled... her soul leaving her body. Leaving a dead body, no longer Rose. Just a corpse.
   My eyes widened. A tear rolled down my eye and fell onto the vent.
    "Who's there?!" He yelled. He looked up at the vent. His eyes met mine. I backed up and crawled away, wiping away my tears from witnessing my best friend, lifeless like a rag doll.
     I turned to see Mike at the opposite vent. I squeezed my body around to crawl fast so I could get out alive.
   "Ava, over here! I'll unscrew the vent!" He said as I kept crawling towards the darkness of the sky above.
   I punched the vent and it flew towards the dirt and rocks.
   "Or you can do that," he chuckled. "Is Rose coming?"
   I glared at the ground. Another tear rolling down, hitting the dirt.
   "Um.. no." I cried out. He put his arms around me, holding me. Letting me wait and sob into his shoulder.
   "I.. I can't believe it." He whispered.
We here each other as we walked back to where our van was. We drove home in silence. When I got home I threw my shoes to the wall and cried myself to sleep.