Punished

As the sun began to set, I sat in the small dining area of the kitchen, eating silently as I listened to the sounds in the kitchen. While the cooking was beginning to come to an end, the cleaning process was just beginning. The atmosphere was much lighter now that they were not pressured to perfect each food they prepared. I could hear them exchanging jokes and laughter with one another, as though they were school children and not members of the royal household.

It was a comforting atmosphere. As soon as they had forgotten that I was in the room, and that some of the words spilling from their mouths were forbidden, I felt as though I were home. If I closed my eyes, I could almost picture our living room, with my father ranting about the king's governing in hushed voices to my mother as I sat with my brother playing games near the fireplace.

The memory was ruined as the voices in the kitchen trailed off. I looked up from my soup and met the gaze of Piers as he walked into the small dining area, followed by a woman I had never seen before. He spoke softly to her as she set a tray of food down on the table before she bowed and exited the room.

"Good evening," he said in a low voice as he unrolled his utensils from the cloth napkin.

"Good evening," I replied before I took another bite of the soup.

He carefully cut his chicken into small pieces, chewing one, before he spoke again. "Did you find enough to occupy yourself with today?"

"Yes, I did, actually. Although, I was not kept as busy as I had believed I would considering the ball is tomorrow," I replied, putting down my spoon.

"The queen has always handled the welcome ball," Piers replied, now cutting up his green beans. "It is custom."

"I was surprised to find out about the ball from Eleanor and not from yourself."

He looked up at me, a green bean speared on his fork. "I would have thought they would have covered it during your training."

"They did," I replied, "but they informed us that it would take place a week after the Bycgan was completed."

He nodded as he chewed the bean. "It is if you are not marrying the prince. There is to be adequate time allocated for planning when marrying directly into the royal family."

"Then why is it to be held on my second day as your fiancée?"

He dabbed at his mouth with a napkin, pushing his plate away. Clearly ensuring adequate nutrition did not apply when you were the prince.

"I do not want to wait any longer than necessary, nor does my mother. She has been awaiting this day for many years now, so she had most of the plans laid out ahead of time. Father, however, wishes that I would wait until the week's end to have the ball. I do not see the need. You were second in your class, not last. Your ranking alone tells me of your discipline and competence to be by my side for the remainder of our time."

"Well," I said softly, "I do hope that I do not disappoint you."

"As do I," he replied, clasping his hands in front of him on the table. "However, there are some things I must discuss with you. Privately."

"May I ask what of?" I asked, pushing my own food aside.

He glanced at the chefs in the other room. "Not here. There are too many prying ears. The help will do anything for a sliver of gossip."

The help. Such an innocent word with such a negative connotation. Especially as Piers said it with such disgust.

"Well, shall we, then?"

He nodded and stood up. I dabbed at my own mouth with my napkin, before I stood. He took my hand in his and led me from the kitchen and down the hall to the stairs. My heart was racing in my chest as we ascended the stairs. There were so many things that he could have wished to speak to me about, from the ball, to the wedding, to my position in the castle.