Our Friends

Fade in:

EXT. CITY MAGIC (PRESENT)

A teen boy dressed in an all black suit and a pristine white tie stares into a dark alley. He tilts his head sideways while observing a sleeping homeless man.

KAYNE (V.O.)

Normal people don't understand how beautiful the dark is. I want to show them. Everyone needs to see.

The boy walks down the alley and kneels in front of a homeless man. He taps him on the shoulder.

KAYNE

Hello mister.

HOMELESS MAN

(Grunting)

Huh? Tamera? That you?

KAYNE

No. It's not Tamera.

HOMELESS MAN

Well, then who are you?!

KAYNE

No need to be rude. I was just trying to say Hello.

HOMELESS MAN

Who? THE HELL? Are you?

Kayne pulls out a small knife. He flips it open behind his back and holds it backhanded.

KAYNE

Look. There's no need to be mad. Me and my friends are just lonely. We just want to talk to someone.

HOMELESS MAN

Well find someone else to fuckin talk to. I'm trying to sleep.

Kayne quickly slices the man's forehead open and then shoves the tattered blue blanket into his mouth.

KAYNE

We could've just talked you know. Why do people make things so difficult?

HOMELESS MAN

(incomprehensible mumbles and groans)

Kayne shoves the blanket into the mans mouth and puts a single finger over his own lips shushing the man.

KAYNE

Shhhhhhh, sh, sh, sh. Don't speak. No need to apologize to me. I'm not as sensitive as my friends.

Kayne puts then knife to the man's throat and then pulls it away and gets ready to stab him. He moves like he's going to and stops at the last second.

KAYNE

Now since you wouldn't talk to me. Please. Do me a favor and apologize to my friends.

Kayne stabs the man's throat and immediately puts the blanket over it stopping the blood from getting all over him. He cleans the blood off on the blanket and then stands up slowly. He puts the knife in his jacket pocket and does up his top button. He walks to the end of the alley and stops looking up and down the increasingly busy street. He straightens his tie and walks to the right.

INT.HOME NIGHT (PAST)

A teenage girl (about 17) is sitting on her bed looking at Polaroids. She has earbuds in. In the background, her parents are fighting. She puts her hands over her ears so she can only hear the music.

CLAIRE

(to herself)

Screw it.

She gets up from the bed and goes over to her closet. She pulls down a suitcase from the shelf near the top of her closet. It falls on her head knocking her to the ground. Claire grabs shirts and pants from her closet. She gets other necessities and shoves them into the case. She struggles to close the case but eventually succeeds. She throws the case out the ground floor window and starts to climb out. She looks back in the room realizing she forgot something. She opens one of her drawers and grabs something unseen.