FIFTEEN

chapter fifteen;

take care

LUCY WATCHED AS RHODEY WAS PUT INSIDE OF THE MRI. Her heart was beating like crazy. She took a chair and sat next to the doctor, observing the monitor in front of her. "What's going on?" she asked. The doctor pointed at the monitors as he speak.

"There's an extreme laceration to the spinal cord. We're basically looking at a paralysis" he said. Paralysis. This shouldn't have happened. It shouldn't have ended this way. They did everything but to turn in Steve and Barnes. And now, Rhodey is paralyzed.

As much as she doesn't want to believe it, Steve does play a part of this whole thing being his fault. He should have just turn Barnes in in the first place. Lucy sighed and shook her head. As she stood up, she notice the familiar red head standing on the doorway. She took no time and walked over to her and embrace her into a hug. "Hey" Nat greeted. Lucy sighed. "It's okay. Everything's going to be okay" she whispered, rubbing her back in comfort.

They pulled away as Tony approached them. Tony nodded at Natasha before turning back to Lucy. "We'll be back in a minute" he said, before walking away with Nat. Lucy sat back down at the chair, her eyes fixed at Rhodey.

A couple of minutes passed by and she saw Nat walking past the door. She furrowed her eyebrows and stood up from her chair to see Tony walking towards her. "Nat isn't staying?" she asked. Tony sighed and shook his head.

"No. Neither will I" he said. Lucy furrowed her eyebrows.

"What?"

"Steve was right. We're after the wrong guy. I have to get to Ross" he said. He gave Lucy a peck on her cheek before walking away. Lucy teleported her way in front of him, blocking his way.

"I'm coming with you" she stated.

"Absolutely not" he said.

"What? I need to see Cap and apologize! Especially after I punched him in the face" she said.

"What you need to do is rest" he smiled before walking past her, just for her to stop him once more. Tony sighed gave her a disapproving look. Tony cut her off before she even said anything. "No" he stated. Lucy glared at him.

"Fine then. I'll teleport there myself" she huffed. Tony sighed.

"Okay, fine! Let's go, we don't have much time" Tony said. A smirk formed on Lucy's lips. "Bring your suit"

--

"The task force called for a psychiatrist as soon as Barnes was captured" FRIDAY said. Lucy's sitting in the helicopter along with Tony. "The UN dispatched Dr. Theo Broussard from Geneva within the hour. He was met by this man" she said. The picture zoomed in on the person next to the doctor.

"Did you run facial recognition?" Tony asked.

"What do I look like?" FRIDAY asked.

"Uh I don't know, I've been picturing a redhead" Tony answered. Lucy rolled her eyes.

"You must be thinking of someone else"

"Must be" Tony replied. He enlarged the picture in a hologram, making it easier for Lucy to see.

"The fake doctor is actually Colonel Helmut Zemo. Sokovian intelligence. Zemo ran Echo Scorpion, a Sokovian covert kill squad" FRIDAY explained. Lucy furrowed her eyebrows.

"I'm confused. What happened to the real Broussard?" she asked as she took a water bottle and drank out of it.

"He was found dead in a Berlin hotel room where police also found a wig and facial prosthesis approximating the appearance of James Buchanan Barnes" she explained. Lucy choked on her water as she heard FRIDAY's explanation.

"What?!" she yelled.

"Son of a bitch" Tony whispered.

"So we did all that fight for nothing?!" she asked.

"Yes, you did" FRIDAY answered.

"Now I just feel guilty" she said, sinking in her seat. Tony nodded.

"Yeah me too" he said.

As they got closer, the compound rose up from the sea. The top of it opened, letting them in. Tony got out of the helicopter as the doors open, Lucy following behind. Ross nodded as he saw Tony. "Stark" he said. He glanced at Lucy who stood behind and sighed. "And of course you bring your daughter with you" he added.

Lucy shrugged. "Well, you can't get rid of me that easily" she said.

"Anyways, you got the files? Let's reroute the satellites and start facial scanning for this Zemo guy" he said.

"You seriously think I'm gonna listen to you after that fiasco in Leipzig?" he asked. Lucy rolled her eyes. "You're lucky you're not in one of these cells" he said. Lucy and Tony glanced at each other, shrugging, before following Ross inside.

As Lucy walked inside the room, she was quick to notice the screens showing Sam, Wanda, Clint and Scott in their cells. Her eyes was quick to wander to Wanda. Her whole body was tied up, barely allowing her to move. Lucy's eyes filled with guilt as she sees the state that her friend was in. Tony was quick to notice this and took her shoulder, not letting her eyes focused at the scene any more longer.

The two entered the room and Clint was quick to throw clap his hand sarcastically. He was throwing some sarcastic remark, but Lucy ignored him and went over to Wanda. Wanda threw her a glare as soon as she walked closer. "You happy now?" Wanda asked.

"I didn't know they'd do this" she replied. Wanda scoffed. "I'm sorry, I didn't know they'd put you in here, I swear" she said.

"Well, I'm here now aren't I?" Wanda said. Lucy sighed. Wanda tore her eyes away from Lucy's gaze.

"You've eaten yet?"

"Shut up" Wanda replied. She turned to Lucy and she could clearly see the rage in Wanda's eyes. "You know, you and I aren't that different" she said. Lucy furrowed her eyebrows. "We both have powers. The only difference is you get praised for it and I get feared for it" she said.

"Is that what this is about?" Lucy asked, tears started to form in her eyes.

"You know if you're not a Stark you'll probably get a cell right next to me" Wanda said.

"If you chose the right side, you'll probably be out here with me" Lucy shot back. "It's not about me being a Stark, Wanda. It's about you breaking the law" she said. Wanda scoffed.

"Law" she chuckled. "You'll learn soon enough Steve isn't the guy you should be after" Wanda said. Lucy nodded.

"Helmut Zemo, I know" Lucy said. Wanda turned to her, raising her eyebrows. "But you still broke the law by not signing the accords" she said. Wanda rolled her eyes. "I told you, you chose the wrong side" Lucy said. "When are you going to listen to me?"

"I chose the side that I think is right" Wanda said.

"You did that in Sokovia too, didn't you? You were wrong then, and you made the same mistake again" Lucy stated. Wanda glared at her. Lucy can't help but send the same cold look towards her.

She noticed Tony walking away from Sam's cell, nodding at Lucy. She took one last glance at Wanda, who's avoiding her gaze. "Take care, Wanda" she said before following Tony out of the room.