Chapter Two - Crafty Hunting

Patton scrunched his nose as a potent smell from the old, dying refrigerator filled his nostrils. Why he was searching in there, he doesn't know. If there was hypothetically anything in there, it would all be rotten by now anyway. He and Logan needed non-perishable items.

Patton sighed in disappointment as he was greeted with nothing but some weird slime like goo connecting the door and the damaged shelves inside, along with an abundance of spiderwebs, and, of course, spiders.

Patton shivered almost violently as he quickly slammed the door and began to back away from the revolting abomination of a fridge, a hand over mouth to muffle his disgusted gags.

Once he had recovered from the brief moment of unwelcome nausea, tears stinging the corners of his bloodshot eyes, he took a deep breath and wiped his saliva-soaked hand on his dirtied jeans.

"Jesus, I never thought that I'd ever come across something that gross, but here we are," Patton sighed as he spun on his heel, sauntering over to the wall-mounted distressed wood cabinet that was nearly falling off the wall. The bubbly man hesitantly wrapped his fingers around the cold metal knob, hastily throwing the door open.

He flinched as an empty can fell down to the ground with a soft, tinny thud once he flung the door open, it cracking at the hinges. He opted to ignore the can on the floor and rather search through the cabinet, pleasantly surprised by what he was greeted with.

Patton let out a heavy sigh of relief as he saw piles upon piles of untidily stacked up cans and containers of, thankfully, non-perishable food items. Canned pasta and peanut butter wasn't the best thing to live off of for the next few months, but it was a start. It was better than dying, Patton reminded himself. He even squealed in delight when he spotted a full box of Twinkies stuffed into the corner of the cabinet.

Meanwhile, upstairs, Logan was scavenging every last bit of any corner of the broken down house that he could get his hands on. He threw blankets and bedsheets of off the bed, nudged around dressers, and even tore out bits of wallpaper and drywall. So far, he had come across a measly dog collar and only one undestroyed blanket. The blanket wasn't soft at all, and it only had room for one person to fit underneath it.

"This'll have to do for now..," Logan thought aloud, pausing to play with the fabric between his fingers. "Unless Patton wants to bring the ripped blankets too. Or maybe we could cuddle underneath this one for warmth," Logan shook his head before his thoughts could continue. Patton was a cuddler, that's for sure, but he in no way ever wanted to sleep (sexually or not) with his best friend. That was just plain weird.

Logan went to search through more of the run down building when he heard bounding coming up the stairs rapidly and excitedly, and for a moment his heart leaped out of his chest when his brain convinced him that a zombie was coming to eat him whole. He let out a breathless sigh, though, as his best friend came into his field of vision.

"Logan! Logan!" He cheered, skipping his way over to Logan. "I found stuff!" He smiled colourfully as his skips stopped abruptly, invading Logan's personal bubble.

"As did I," Logan replied blankly. "What did you find, Patton?"

"I found food, and lots of it!"

"Are they non-perishable food items?"

Patton tilted his head, puzzled. "What does 'non-perishable' mean?"
"It's a term used to describe foods that have an extended shelf life. In other words, they don't need to be refrigerated, and last longer."