Chapter Five

Roselle's Point Of View~

Town square bustled with shoppers and leisure-walkers enjoying the sunshine the day provided. Fred, Shaggy and Velma ended up getting milkshakes for everyone while they waited for Daphne and I to return and grabbed us each one as well. We sat in the van, the radio playing softly in the background as we all sipped in quiet. Fred had told us his dad refused to give in to some threat by a monster and had decided he wanted to use the impending doom as a way to bring in tourists. Apparently the supernatural was a big tourist grab. The town square had been decorated in fake snow monster foot prints and tourists crawled around looking for the sneak peek of the monster rolling in wearing "I Went To See The Snow Monster of Coolsville, Oh. And All I Brought Back Was This Lousy T-Shirt" t-shirts, baring their camera's at anything that even remotely looked like an animal of supernatural origins. 

Daphne attempted to do some homework in the back of the van while Velma tried to help her with the difficult questions. Scooby and Shaggy indulged in the snacks they stowed in the cooler that morning, enjoying their odd combinations of food that would make a pregnant woman sick. Fred scrunched his brow as he read a screenplay for the upcoming school production of The Little Mermaid. He was highlighting certain parts, I assumed the part of the prince, with care and thought. As for me, I hummed quietly along to the music, my eyes closed waiting for the square to empty so we could set up our trap. 

Velma shared the clue she found in one of the old Coolsville archives. She discovered an old legend that in the caves just beyond inside the borders of Sunnyville fed into Coolsville. There was a legend that an incredible treasure was buried there, somewhere in the maze of pitch black caves. Rumored to have been buried by a group of Spaniards that were marooned here by their evil captain who thought they had been left behind with nothing. Unbeknownst to their captain, they Spaniards grabbed the treasure, taking it with them. legend has it, the captain searched the  caves for years before his untimely death. Hundreds of years have passed, causing more and more people to be drawn to the maze only to get lost and driven insane. 

The legendary treasure seemed like something that would cause someone to dress up like some sort of monster to drive the coal miners and other treasure hunters away from the caves. What would a Snow Monster want with a fabled treasure no one is sure exists? Unless...

A few hours later, deep into the night, the square emptied, the only light from the three street lamps that dotted along the streets. 

"Guys, it's go time. We'll hop out and set the trap, Fred, Shaggy and Scoob- you get changed in the van." They all nodded at me in agreement and then the other girls and I hopped out taking the net with us. We strung the net across the street and each climbed into a tree holding, pulling it taut, prepared to drop it when the monster hit his mark. 

When Shaggy, Fred and Scooby had finished their costume change they strutted with authority up and down the street, pretending to be the Mayor and a couple of bodyguards. We waited thirty minutes before the monster showed up. He was terrifying. Standing at probably seven feet tall, a beast covered in white fur and a scowling, growling face. He looked beyond anything I had ever dealt with before. My heart rate increased at the fear of my brother, dog and....uh...Fred. Not my Fred, but just Fred in generally. I mentally groaned, I was arguing myself while a living, breathing monster ten yards ahead of me about to rip into my friends. 

As soon as the monster, was centered underneath the neat, I started counting on my fingers to three. 

One.

"GROWWWWWWLLLLLL!!!" The monster reared up to come down on Fred who stood just outside the nets reach. 

Two.