chapter eight

Roselle's Point of View ~

Twenty minutes later after my brain was lit on fire, I was driving back to my house, Fred in the passenger seat beside me and Shaggy and Scooby in the back. I had changed back into my clothes from yesterday and I missed the comfortable cotton of Fred's pajamas. As I drove, my body was on autopilot. I couldn't stop thinking about that kiss. It just so happened to be my first kiss and it wasn't at all how it was described in books. The fireworks weren't explosive like i'd thought they'd be. It was more like coming home after a long day and feeling the stress of life steam off. His minty-fresh breath like cool mint chocolate chip ice cream on an impossibly hot summer day. It was so intense. I can't get the feeling of his lips on mine out of my head, but even if I could, I wouldn't want to. It was so...delicious. Is that how kissing is for everyone? 

I pulled up to the side of the sidewalk and parked. Daphne and Velma were sitting on the curb, talking it seemed like, and it seemed like they were talking intensely. With a couple of slams of the car doors, they were roused from their conversation. 

"Hey guys, just gotta change and then we're set." I said as I walked up to the door and unlocked it. Thankfully, both mom and dad had early shifts so there would be no questions on what we would be doing today. Shaggy and I ran upstairs to change, leaving the rest of the group in the living room. 

Daphne's Point of View ~

As Rose and Shaggy ran upstairs, I sat on the couch. Their living room was so different from mine. My house was huge, thanks to my ultra-rich parents. However, it's kept incredibly clean. Thanks to the maids and cleaning crews, the place almost never has a speck of dust. The couches are never sat on, making them stiff and all of the art and pictures on the walls are famous works of art and modern work the my mom found and loved. The Rogers Residence, however, was of course smaller, but it was so much home-ier. the couch had comfortable dips in it from where they sat on it as a family. Dog toys occupied a small corner of the living room next to a barely used dog bed. All of the pictures on the walls were pictures of them as a family and baby pictures. The art was clearly handmade and so lovingly charming. They are a real family. I rarely see my parents unless its family dinner, but that's only from across a large and grand dining table. And, I can't remember the last time I saw my sisters. Daisy's been doing Doctors Across Borders for last two and half years, and Dawn's been doing shoot after shoot after shoot for months now. I only ever see her when she has a break which only lasts a day or so and she usually spends with her boyfriend. Dorothy's been racing the worldwide circuit since March and Delilah's somewhere doing something for the Marines. Apparently it's classified. It's just me in that big house, surrounded by people who are paid a lot of money to cook my meals, clean my room and do everything for me. 

As I'm scanning and admiring the house, I notice Fred paying special attention to the array of family photos on the mantle. Fred has a very similar life to my own, I think that's one of the reasons why I attached to him when I moved here. It's just him and his dad in the big mayors house. Being the mayor, Mr. Jones doesn't exactly leave a lot of time for family. 

Velma sat on the couch next to me. 

"Whatcha thinking about?" Her voice stirred me out of my thoughts as I turned to look at her. She was dressed in a burnt orange colored sweater that hugged her curves nicely and a pair of dark colored khakis with white sneakers. 

"Oh, nothing much. Just family stuff. So was it just me, or was there so definite blushing on Rose's face when she pulled up?" I wanted to change the subject topic real quick before I clued Velma into my family problems. She laughed slightly. 

"if you ask me, Fred's cheeks were pretty red too." A thought sparked in my mind. My eyes darted to Fred's back as he stood at the mantle, seeming to admire a stunning photo of Rose at what looked like some park. I leaned in close to Velma to whisper in her ear so that Fred didn't hear and I caught a whiff of her perfume. She smelled like lemon and sandalwood, and vaguely of mildew. It wasn't a bad scent, in fact, it was rather intoxicating. I forced myself to focus on the matter at hand. 

"You don't think that after we left..." I left my accusation open-ended, letting Velma's big brain fill in the empty spaces. She got a big grin on her face, exposing her perfectly straight but coffee stained teeth. I could feel her warm breath on my cheek and it made my whole body warm. I leaned back to cool myself down, but I was too cool and I shivered at the loss of closeness. I scolded myself in my head. I'm not stupid or naive. I know what's happening to me. I've had crushes before, i've even had them on girls. In fact, they were mostly on girls. I like girls. And, I like Velma. 

"Hey, Fred?" Velma's voice cut through my thoughts of fear and attraction like a cold knife and I remembered her smile from before. Fred turned around looking as innocent as a baby. 

"What's up?" He moved to sit down on a nearby ottoman and leaned his elbows on his knees, facing us and waiting for Velma to speak.

"Well, we were just curious as to what took you guys so long getting here from your house. It's approximately a seven minute drive; five if you go down main. And yet, you and the others didn't leave the house nearly thirty minutes." Velma's inquisitive and teasing smile never wavered off her face. I didn't even look at Fred or how he was reacting, I was too entranced with her. She's so smart and pretty...

Fred's Point Of View~

Oh, crap, they know. The sinister smile on Velma's face told me she knew everything. How could she know? Was I really that obvious? Maybe Rose texted them, isn't that something girls do? Even if it is, it probably wasn't something Rose was likely to do. I felt non-sensical words pouring out of my mouth in a stupid sounding stutter. Well, if they weren't sure now, I just confirmed it to them. I am such an idiot. 

I hadn't exactly stopped thinking about that kiss, I mean, how could I?  I hadn't kissed many people in my life time, but none of them compared to the kiss I shared with Rose. It was like everything good in the world was happening right in that instant; wars ended, poverty was gone, racism, sexism, homophobia- all of it, gone forever. Love and happiness was all that remained. She tasted like all of my favorite desserts. For a moment there, I even forgot what drew all of us together in the first place. All there was was her. For the rest of my life I would chase that feeling again. Was she thinking about it too? 

I could hear Daph and Velma giggling like children but before they could say anything, and before I could beg them to drop it, Rose and Shaggy came bounding down the stairs. 

"You guys all ready?" Her soft voice seemed to boom as the girls stopped laughing and looked between her and me. When she saw the odd atmosphere, she quirked an eyebrow. "What? What did I miss?" I looked at Daphne and Velma and tried my best to plead with my eyes to not make a  thing out of it. I've known Daphne for a while and I could read her face like a book; "Fine, but you have to tell us what happened ASAP." I did a quick and minuscule nod that she thankfully caught. 

"Hm? Oh nothing. Your outfit is killer BTDubs! Ready to do some sleuthing?" Daphne said standing up, quickly changing the subject which I was very grateful for. I nodded, fear setting back in at the thought of the snow monster having my dad. I felt guilty that I had been so caught up with my own teen drama that I nearly forgot about my dad being in the clutches of that monster. Everyone else nodded and we loaded back up into the van. 

Word Count: 1483

xx HI OKAY WOW I am so sorry that it has been so long but I just lost motivation and I was thinking that people didn't actually wanna read my story. The last time I updated, I had 200 reads, and now I have 1.3K !!!!!!!!! that has never happened to a story I have written before and I am so thankful and happy that so many of you like this story!!! My mental health has never been better and while I still have bad days and bad weeks, I'm ready to get back to doing the things I love and that includes writing!! Please DM or comment any ideas and theories for the story, i'd love to see how you guys are feeling about the romance!!! Thank you all once again for 1.3k I am so grateful!!! I love you all!!!1

xx