Promise

This is going to be the worst day of my life, I think when I wake up.

Before today, I would have said the worst day of my life was when Kuroo's grandpa died, or maybe the day I rejected Kuroo after getting a confession from him.

But today — today is so much worse.

My first date with Kuroo.

He's planned something for us, but I don't know what yet. He's gonna come pick me up soon.

Oh, that reminds me, I should start to get ready!

I had a shower yesterday morning, so I should be fine for the rest of the day.

I start picking clothes to wear, and my mind starts drifting back to the day we became a couple.

It was August the fourteenth, and it was a cold and rainy summer day.

I've always loved summer rain — it makes the summer a lot less hot and unbearable — so I thought it was a pretty good damn day.

I didn't know it was gonna get so, so much better.

Things between me and Kuroo had been weird for a while, after I rejected him. Different, somehow. Tragically so.

But then, when I started going to high school, we were suddenly back together and it felt as nothing had ever changed.

We spent the best year together as best friends for life, and I spent the third year of my life trying to figure out my feelings for him and kissing my pillows.

Until one day, I just realized: I was in love with Kuroo Tetsurou.

Of course I was.

How could I ever doubt it?

His eyes haunted me in my sleep for the first half of the summer.

Then, on the fourteenth of August, I grew a pair, and confessed myself.

"Kuro," I told him. "I think I wanna make out with you."

He got pretty mad at that, I think.

He started getting away from me.

The rain poured and poured.

"Wait!" I said, trying to catch up, running, running, running for him. "I didn't mean — I meant I love you!"

Without turning around: "Are you serious?"

"I'm pretty sure, at least."

Then we kissed; the kiss was wet with rain and tears.

He whispered, "Promise me it's not a dream."

All this daydreaming won't do me any good, though.

I choose to wear the same hoodie I wore that day: it's green and it has the smallest patch of a banana on the top left corner.

Even if it's a lot hotter today, I want to remember.

When Kuroo comes over to pick me up, I'm just done putting on my clothes.

I'm lucky my parents aren't home to embarrass me.

He's so awkward at first.

He looks at me and just says, "You look good," gulping loudly, but from the way his eyes widen a little, I can tell he recognizes the hoodie.

The date is a disaster: we go to the movies and Kuroo pours soda all over my jeans and we go to sit on a bench at the park to let it dry.

Then, the date is amazing: we have lunch a Kuroo buys me junk food and makes me laugh so hard I start considering throwing up my milkshake.

Not the terrible day I had expected, then.

When we head back home he suddenly takes my hand.

I jump a little, and it's not only because he took me by surprise.

It's also the electricity between us, the chemistry: it burns.

Before leaving, he kisses me on the check, on the forehead.

I can tell my parents are spying on us from the windows.

"God," Kuroo says. "I still can't believe this is real."

"No," I tell him. "No, I promise, it's real."

#NowISpeak
This, of course, is for my sister and number one KuroKen stan.
Good luck on you last exam, bitch.
You'll nail it.