Part 1: A BOY'S LIFE

CHAPTER 6

CHAPTER 6

First Flight And First Fight

The final week in April heralded the onset of Daylight Savings Time and restless anticipation on the part of Bradley Wallace and his peers for the freedom of summer vacation.  While everyone gathered up their stuff at the end of the day, several of the boys began arm-wrestling matches, apparently settling old challenges. Most of the class was already gone and Mr. Baldoni was in the storage room putting microscopes away.

Bradley Wallace knew he had to get outside to his bus, but he observed the action with curiosity.  He'd never before seen anyone arm wrestling and found it most intriguing.  The technique seemed simple enough.  All it took was strength of arm and strength of will.

A voice spoke up behind him.  "I challenge you, Murphy."

He turned to look John Wagner in the eye, his gaze unflinching.  The other boys had finished their matches and all eyes were on him and Wagner. He knew he had no choice.  For better or worse, he had to take on his enemy right now or he'd be labeled a chicken forever. 

He was about to nod when a movement at the long row of windows caught his eye.  He glanced quickly in that direction, just in time to catch a glimpse of flapping dragon wings whizzing past the frosted glass.  Panic pierced his heart and he lunged toward the windows.  The others all turned to see what had captured his interest and, not seeing anything, exchanged confused glances.

But Bradley Wallace had not been mistaken.  A quick opening of his mind confirmed the dragon's presence, somewhere above the school, calling him to come outside.  And the stupid beast was visible!  All thoughts of arm wrestling extinguished, Bradley Wallace turned and dashed for the classroom door.  He heard Wagner's derisive snarl flung at his back.

"I knew he was chicken," the bully snorted in disgust and began clucking.

But Bradley Wallace didn't have time to defend his honor.  He had to stop that crazy dragon before the whole city saw him!  Dashing along the dim hallway, he sprinted down the stairs two at a time to the exit and pushed his way outside.  He raised a hand to shield his squinting eyes from the bright April sun and scanned the area above his head.  Whilly was nowhere in sight.  Frenzied, he pressed his eyes shut and reached out with his mind.  Almost before the thoughts completed their travels across the synapses of his brain, Whilly appeared beside him.

Bradley Wallace jumped in surprise and whirled around.  "What are you doing here? You're right in the middle of the city!  Everyone can see you!"

*I'm sorry, Bradley Wallace Murphy,* Whilly apologized. *I'll become invisible again.*

The dragon vanished from view and Bradley Wallace stared at the now empty driveway leading up to Mission Avenue.

"At least no one can see you now," the boy sighed heavily. "But why did you take such a chance to come here?  Don't you know how dangerous it is?"