Chapter 14: "We Should Go Somewhere More Private"

A/N: This is a longer chapter than usual you're welcome. (Lowkey making up for the fact I haven't uploaded in a few weeks. Pls forgive me.)

HARRY:

Malfoy actually spoke to me today. As in, he started a conversation with me. And then we spoke. It did seem a little awkward, though. He asked me what book I was reading, and we ended up talking about Sirius. It did make me sad to think about him, but it was also strangely nice to hear about him from Malfoy's perspective. He didn't seem to have that much of a negative view of Sirius, though, which was surprising considering that I'm sure the rest of his family absolutely hated him. Apparently, his mother told him that Sirius was disowned because of "inappropriate relationships". That is presumably referring to his friendship with my dad, Lupin, and Wormtail. I think that maybe I made him uncomfortable by getting sad because he left rather quickly. I was enjoying talking to him. Wow. I never thought I would ever say that. I hope we talk more in the future - hopefully about some lighter topics, though.

Harry finished writing and buried his journal deep in his bag. It was nearly curfew, so he began to head back to the common room. As he was walking, his mind drifted to Sirius, and then to Lupin and Tonks and his own godson, Teddy. He had spent some time with Teddy over the summer; it was nice to go and help Andromeda out. He had promised himself that he would make sure that Teddy, despite being a war orphan just like Harry, would grow up knowing he was loved and knowing how his parents died.

When Harry reached the common room, he found that there were still plenty of people in there. He noticed Ron and Neville sat in a corner playing chess. Neville spotted him and waved him over. Harry realised that he was in an unusually good mood and that he actually wanted to go over and talk to them. He pulled another chair up to their table and quickly assessed how the game was going. Unsurprisingly, Ron was winning. He was staring down at the board with a look of utmost concentration.

"Hi, Harry," Neville said.

"Hi, Neville. Being beaten, are you?"

Neville sighed. "Yes."

Ron grinned. "Rook to B3." His rook moved across the board and knocked Neville's bishop out, before dragging it roughly off the board and returning to its position. "Check."

Neville stared down at the board for a while and Harry thought he could see his brain working. "King to C2."

Ron's grin got wider as he said, "Queen to F5," and Neville groaned. "Checkmate." Neville shook his head and started collecting his pieces. "Sorry, mate. Better luck next time."

"You know I'm never going to beat you," said Neville.

"Don't worry," Harry said, "None of us has ever beaten him."

"Well, I didn't play 'the best played game of chess Hogwarts has seen these many years' for nothing, you know." Harry and Neville laughed, remembering Gryffindor's iconic win of the house cup in their first year.

"I'm going to go to bed now, guys." Harry and Ron both said their 'goodnight's to Neville as he stood and made his way towards the dormitories.

"Where's Hermione?" Harry asked Ron, who was now collecting his chess pieces and putting them into his bag.

"She's been in the library all evening. Dunno what she's reading up on now, but-" He finished the sentence by shrugging his shoulders. "Where've you been, anyway?"

"Oh I've just been, y'know, around." Harry gestured vaguely and Ron looked at him with resignation.

"Hello, you two." Hermione had just arrived in the common room and walked across to their table. She sat where Neville had just been and looked between them both. Harry noticed that being around Hermione felt normal again. For a few days after she helped him with his sexuality crisis, being around her felt weird, like their whole friendship was completely different - of course, it wasn't actually different at all. He also hadn't been able to get rid of the anxiety that she was suddenly going to turn on him or tell everyone or both. He would not miss that feeling.