Chapter 19: "People Can Change"

A/N: hello wonderful people! i hope you're all doing okay in the midst of everything at the moment. this is a VERY long chapter so hopefully makes up for the months i've not uploaded for. i got a bit carried away. anyway enjoy the chapter and remember to wash your hands <3

HARRY:
Harry left the classroom smiling more than he had in a long time. When he followed Draco into the bathroom, he hadn't expected it to end with them kissing. He wasn't complaining, though, although his cheeks were starting to hurt from the smiling. He didn't see anyone on his way to the Great hall, and by the time he got there, he had managed to get his smile under control.

"Hello, guys," he said to Ron and Hermione as he sat down at the Gryffindor table. He made sure to sit on the side where he could see the Slytherin table; he wanted to make sure Draco actually did come to lunch.

"Where the hell did you run off to?" Ron demanded, a half-eaten chicken drumstick in his hand.

"Just the bathroom," Harry said, aware of how he'd been gone way too long for that to be believable, even though it technically wasn't a lie.

Hermione narrowed her eyes. "Was it a good trip?"

"What?"

"Well, you just seem happier than usual."

"Am I not allowed to be happy, now?"

"No, of course you are, Harry, that's not what I meant."

Harry knew what she meant – he hadn't exactly been very happy recently – but, for the sake of keeping what had just happened a secret, he had to pretend. He selected a sandwich from a plate nearby and began to eat, trying to watch the doors without being too obvious.

He was halfway through his sandwich when Draco entered the Great Hall. They made eye contact and Harry saw a smile flicker across his face.

Harry returned his attention to his friends. "Hermione, did you understand what we have to do for that transfiguration essay? Please would you help me with it?"

"Can you help me too, Hermione?" Ron said, through a mouthful of chicken.

Hermione rolled her eyes at them. "Yes, I will help you both."

Ron grinned at her. "Thanks, Hermione."

"What would we do without you?" Harry said.

"I don't think you would survive, but let's hope we never have to find out."

They chatted all the way through lunch, and Harry felt that it was almost like how hanging out with them used to be. They headed back to the common room together for their free period, Harry sneaking a look at the Slytherin table on his way out. Draco was still eating with his friends.

The common room was quite rowdy, as there were plenty of other NEWT students who had a free period, so Hermione suggested they take their transfiguration work to the library.

They managed to find a free table and after they had set out their work, Hermione disappeared into the shelves looking for books that would help them.

"You would never think I'd fall for her, would you?" Ron said, looking fondly at the shelf she disappeared behind. "We don't need any extra reading materials, we have textbooks for a reason." He gestured towards his battered copy of A Guide To Advanced Transfiguration which was sat on the table next to his blank parchment.

"It took longer than it should've done, I reckon. If only you'd asked her to the Yule Ball straight away."

Ron chuckled. "That would've saved us a lot of drama, wouldn't it?"