Stand

Stand up for what you believe in
Is something Remus was taught at a very young age, when he went to Hogwarts he was taught to stand up for your self and others, when he meet Sirius, James and Peter they taught him to stand up for your friends and lovers.
When James and Lilly were killed along with Peter, they suspected Sirius, Remus didnt believe that Sirius was capable of killing his best friends, let alone put James and Lillys son Harry in that position of not having his parents.
After hearing that Sirius had escaped Azkaban, Remus had planned to teach at Hogwarts, when he was alowed to teach, he knew Sirius would try to find him, Hogwarts whould be a safe place for them to meet.
Remus had known that Harry knew, he knew that Sirius 'killed' he's parents, which was never true.
Once Sirius had made it to Hogwarts with out being spotted, he rested in the shack under the Womping Willow tree.
Once Remus had now know that he was right about Sirius not killing there dear friends he suspected one other person since Harry had brought up the name Peter Pettigrew.
Once they all found this information was true, Remus was more than happy to help Sirius hide until this whole thing was over.

Even though everyone thought Sirius did it, Remus stuck to his guts and stuck up for Sirius.