1. ingrid

November, 2008

Ingrid squeezed the soaked sachet above the mug before she discarded it, added two teaspoons of sugar and a dash of cold milk, then stirred until the heart of white within dispersed evenly into a Brit-approved hue of beige. She let her breakfast brew sit on the countertop for a minute, to cool down while she emptied the milk jug into her cereal bowl.

Store-bought milk still tasted funny to her, but she couldn't afford to be picky. She never had been able to. As long as she had something in her stomach to keep it from digesting itself, all was pretty much well, really.

Ingrid picked up her mug and blew the steam out of shape, inhaling the bergamot aroma afterwards. Earl Grey had become her favourite British thing from the moment she'd tasted it. Although tea and milk had seemed like such an egregious combination to her at first, all it took was a sip to convert her.

Her flatmate Sienna caught Ingrid dipping her lips into her still hot cuppa and grinned. "Loving it now, are you?"

Ingrid rolled her eyes, but she was smiling. "Am I ever going to hear the end of this?"

"I don't think so, no."

Ingrid grabbed a spoon and took her breakfast to the table. Sienna put the kettle on, dropped a teabag in her mug, then gave Ingrid a good-morning kiss on the cheek.

"So," the Brit began, leaning against the table, "any plans for the holidays?"

Ingrid shook her head at her cereal bowl. "I guess I'll just stay in and catch up on my reading."

The kettle popped ready and Sienna went to pour the boiling water into her mug.

"What about Christmas? New Year's?"

Ingrid shrugged. Made no answer.

Sienna watched her tea brew for what seemed like forever, then whipped suddenly round.

"What?" Ingrid asked, confused.

"I'll be right back."

Sienna dashed out of the kitchen and returned ten minutes later, cell phone in hand, beaming. Ingrid had prepared her tea for her, just the way she knew her flatmate liked it, and reminded Sienna of it.

"Oh, thanks, love." The young Brit reached for her warm mug and took a generous sip. "So I rang my mum just now, because I had a brilliant idea, and she said yes, so I hope you'll say yes, too."

Sienna paused, building suspense, and Ingrid's eyebrows twisted into an expression that showed she couldn't be bothered.

"Well, what is it?" she urged her friend on.

"What would you say...," dramatic break, "if...you came with me to Norfolk? We could spend Christmas together!"

Sienna could barely contain her excitement now.

"And go to some cool New Year's party in Norwich! You'll love Norwich, it's so medieval! And we can go to the beach! It'll be cold as fuck, but it's so beautiful! We can cruise the Broads, if we don't freeze to death, that is...what?"

Ingrid had made up her mind halfway through Sienna's pitch and couldn't keep from chuckling at her friend's relentless enthusiasm.

"Yes, Sienna. The answer's yes."

Sienna jumped and clapped her hands, screeching a cheer as she locked Ingrid in a hug.

"This will be the best Christmas ever!"

April, 2017

Ingrid sat by herself on a tall stool at the bar, staring into her whiskey which by now had been reduced to melted ice and a thin layer of amber at the bottom of the glass. There had been a lull in the crowd at The Secret Keeper, she'd spotted no one of interest to alleviate her boredom. The clock hadn't even struck eleven, but she was already thinking to go.