Prologue

Jacques stretched his legs out over the shingles. No matter how many times he would visit the top of this tower; his heart would never cease to swoon at the sight below. He had been training for seven years of his life. Started at 12, you could say he was 19 now, but his temperament and demeanor had nothing in common with that of a 19-year old's.

This was perhaps the last time he'd be able to look down at the commoners below without secretly plotting separate ways to kill them all.

Yes, Jacques was an assassin. He had spent those special teen years of his life learning how to distinguish, disturb, and dispose of all his future targets.

Being a killer didn't make him heartless, it was being heartless that kept him from being killed. Life on the street was hard if you weren't smart or you couldn't throw a punch. Men ended up being murderers, women working in brothels.

Unless your family was wealthy. In that case, you'd be the owner of such brothel, Baron of some castle, or a well-known trader.

Jacques, on the other hand, came from the sea. He could still recall the feeling of the ocean, the water stirring underneath his feet. He could bring up old memories of salt in his eyes and men with burly faces that recounted tales like they were written on the backs of their hands.

Sitting on the edge of the tallest tower in the city, Jacques could see for miles out. Far enough to spot the ocean.

That didn't prevent him from seeing half a dozen royal guards making their way over to him from beneath the looming tower.

"You there!" One spoke up loudly, "You're not permitted to be in this area, let alone above it!" The speaker stepped forward, revealing himself to be the captain with shinier boots and a longer plume on his helmet.

"What shall I do?" Jacques attempted to disguise his voice, but realized the futility of it, considering his attire, he would be recognized as an assassin within the moment.

"Come down at once! You are under arrest!" The knight growled.

"I don't know why I should come down, if you're to take me into custody." Jacques said with an air of smart about his voice.

"Nonetheless, we are the royal guard! You cannot be up there! This is the tower of Sir—"

"Yes, I understand your regulations; can't you just leave me alone?" Jacques huffed, somewhat annoyed.

It was as if his sheathed weapons were itching to shut up the man. It would be quick, but Jacques knew the sort of attention around town it would bring to his name; murdering the royal guard. Although he wasn't reluctant, it was simply too much of a chore.

"If you do not comply, we will be forced to shoot you down!"

"Okay, wait, just a second!" Jacques crouched on his haunches, waving his arms in a way that called for mercy; "Is there not a bounty on my head for 600,000 silver?"

The guards exchanged glances. They were unaware that this perched little figure on the tower was who he said he was. But if anyone, the renowned assassin would be the first to take refuge on a tower 20 meters in the air.

"We can still shoot you down!"

With that conclusion, two of the guards drew crossbows and took aim. Jacques was lucky about one thing. When he was younger, the first thing he was taught wasn't how to fight and kill, it was how to run.

"Well shit." Jacques said.