Chapter Seven

As the sun rose over the mountains, it illuminated the city in an orange glow. As light fell over the middle of town, one could make out the dust particles in the air. No one in their right mind swept the streets. The early merchants were already settled in preparation for the day's sale. Among those merchants was me, Alba. The oldest child in my family, already tired from the last night's adventures and in no environment was I prepared for the day ahead.

I was ready to embrace my visit from the killer as a dream. For as long as it wasn't real, I wouldn't freak out. Unfortunately, the piece of fabric left on my window reminded me that I truly was attacked by an assassin and there was no denying it.

Should I tell the castle guards? They always wandered somewhere nearby town square. Maybe if I sent a letter to Prismo, he'd come pick me up and sail me away to a far-off land.

I kneaded the silky grey linen in my left hand and handled the broom in the other, pondering the best course of action.

After opening the huge window in front of our shop, my next duty was sweeping the front room.

We had just propped the door open when our first customer arrived.

She was middle-aged, the corners of her eyes crinkled. Her dress was more modest than mine. In her arms she carried a small furry animal. Despite how early she had risen for the creature, she appeared more concerned for the animal than her own lack of sleep.

"Excuse me, miss, you happen to know where your father is?" She spoke to me with an air of urgency.

"He's in the garden, pruning. What is it that you need?" I suggested, putting on my best morning smile; it hurt.

"Oh, well, you see. . ." She took one glance at me before continuing, "My cat has come over this horrendous sickness. He's mewling around the garden, he's been spending a lot of time around this other feral cat, and he's even been putting on some weight!"

This time my grin was genuine, "Ma'am, has your cat spent a lot of time around that other cat?" I set down the broom and pocketed the linen, now looking at the cat more seriously.

"Oh, I hope not! Do you think there's a treatment of herbs you could give him or something?"

"I believe your cat is pregnant ma'am."

"But he's a male!" She protested, eyes widening. Then she lifted the cat higher and started peering suspiciously at its belly.

"It's hard to tell with cats, actually." I grimaced, not wanting this conversation to develop, "But if it's putting on weight and met another cat, I'm sure it's not a tomcat."

"May I speak to your father about this?" 

Of course, she still didn't believe me, no one ever believes the woman in a short dress doing maid's work. Although I had worked in this building all my life and learned everything there is to learn about herbs, this woman still questioned me.

"You can, if you come back at a later time." I pursed my lips, slightly provoked, "Or you can take my advice and treat your pregnant cat like a queen."

Realizing her mistake, she quickly nodded.

"That truly does make sense, I see you don't wish to discuss the matter any further. I'll be on my way." She turned on her heel and strode out the door.

"Alba, you can't treat our customers like that. We could've easily sold her a treatment and kept her as a customer. Now she won't come back in and we didn't even make money off her visit." A voice came almost as soon as she had left.