Chapter Five: Katsu

After the news of the wandering night angel, I was wary to venture into the night alone. Even with reassurance from Katsuma and the thin, crudely shaped blade tucked in my shift, I carried the largest lantern I could find.

During the day the streets were rowdy with vendors, merchants, and traders from out of town. During the night the streets were crawling with prostitutes, muggers, and guild rats eager to get easy pickings from those who wandered past curfew. Curtains were drawn, doors locked, and people hidden inside. 

I was alone out in the alley. 

How stupid was I, listening to my childhood friend? Meeting after sundown in the middle of town?! Katsuma was a royal guard. I was a merchant's daughter. He had skill with a sword, brute force, and a uniform to keep away the attackers. I had a rusty sword, a mean expression, and a slightly too-short dress to taunt the attackers.

I held the lamp higher, panic easing its way into my veins.

I walked on the left-hand street, a three-meter walkway that was set a foot higher than the gutter beside it. On the other side of the gutter, a similar walkway that stretched three meters and was made up of large stones plastered together, rather than large slabs of clay. On either side of the street rose four-story buildings that all seemed to be connected until you ran into a corner. It was two windows per room and an attic as the fourth-floor. My house looked almost the same as all the others, except for the fact that I kept my attic window open and nailed on a ledge to rest vases and potted plants. My family lived in the down stairs, third story room together. We were like any other merchant family.

The only dilemma was the fact that I was out past curfew and would die from a mugger, the night angel, or my father when he discovered I went out late.

I stepped into the same clearing that used to be full of people. In front of the fountain was where the steward read his tournament announcement aloud. But now, instead of a crowd of people, there was one person, clad in armor, stocky in form, one moment a shadow, and the next a familiar face.

"Alba!" He grinned, rushing toward me, arms outstretched to embrace.

I fell back, grimacing.

"Katsuma, hang on." I held out a palm to hold him back, "I wouldn't want to stick you with this while we hugged." I lifted up my shift, uncaring whether or not he saw my legs, and pulled out the knife.

His eyes widened, cheeks pink despite the yellow light, and took the knife out of my hand.

"How did you—why did you have this. . ." He started but trailed off, a look of utter confusion alight in his face.

"It's past daylight, Katsu, people aren't prone to reliable." I put it as nicely as I could, hoping to appeal to his innocence.

"Who would dare attack you, Alba? You know exactly how to defend yourself—"

"That's why I brought this." I gestured to the blade, "And you must understand the dangers of wandering at night? Why, especially as a woman-"

"They're the same as a man's dangers, I'm sure." He responded immediately.

"Not exactly, Katsuma, haven't your parents ever explained anything to you?"

"Uh. . ."

"I'll take that as a no then. . ."

"Well, what do you mean by explain?"

"Honestly?!" I felt the blood rush to my cheeks, "This is not the conversation I would imagine we'd have."

"Then we don't need to have it. Let's change the subject." He was eager to stop the discomfort, shifting his weight from foot to foot.

"But we do, because you obviously don't understand the dangers of a meeting at night!"

"Of course, there are muggers and assassins. . ."

"Yes, but-okay, remember how you felt when I lifted my dress and you got a view of my legs?"

"Um. . ." His cheeks flushed, "Yes."

"Can you remember what you wanted to do?" I remarked blatantly.

At this, his face went bright red and he took a step back, "I'm not sure what you're getting at. . ."

"Imagine if you hadn't held yourself back from your urges." I said, watching his expression change dynamically, from confusion to horror. "Now imagine yourself as a mugger who just happened upon a girl like me."

"A lady." He corrected, nodding with understanding, "My apologies, Alba, I had no idea that other men would also. . ." Katsuma paused, trying to form the most appropriate word in his head, ". . . share the same desire about you."

I was satisfied that he understood my point. Normally, I'd be disgusted, but Katsuma had been my friend for ages so it was better to confront the situation bluntly.

We talked through the night. He told me tales of becoming a knight, meeting the king, and his ventures out into seas. Eventually we sat down on the fountain's edge and I told him my boring tales of being a merchant's daughter. I caught him stealing casual glances at my low-cut dress, thigh or chest, but he remained relatively humane about himself, only looking when he was sure I wouldn't notice. The issue was that I always noticed. He finally interrupted my story about meeting Prismo with his hand over mine.

"Look, Alba, it's been so long since I last saw you. I'm sorry I proposed to meet at this hour..." He swallowed nervously, drawing in a shuddering breath, "And we grew up as brother and sister. I'm glad we didn't grow up completely together, or this would be weird."

I knew where it was headed before he finished his sentence. I couldn't help but notice the oil getting low in my lantern. I'd have a few minutes to get home with that much lighting left. I needed to leave now. I tried to direct my attention to the lantern, but he leaned closer to me.

Our lips met. He pulled me closer. I stood stock-still while his hands slid down my back.

This was wrong. I had known him as a child. This man was the same kid I grew up with. So many memories, but this wasn't one I wanted to have.

Katsuma tried to get closer, but my knees prevented him from leaning any further. Finally, to my relief, he pulled away. His eyes were bright. His cheeks were flushed. I even noticed a difference in his trousers. But what he felt didn't correlate to my own feelings at all.

"Thanks for a wonderful night, Alba." He whispered; his hands still on my own.

"No problem." I grunted through gritted teeth. "I should get going, my oil is going out." I flicked my eyes over to the lantern that sat on the ground, now almost empty. At the same time, I caught his eyes rake over my body as I turned my head. His expression momentarily ravenous before I looked back at him.

"See you tomorrow?" He rose as I leaned to pick up the lantern. Something brushed against my backside and I sucked in a harsh breath.

"Maybe." I responded, not meeting his eyes. As I took off down my street, I could feel his eyes averted on my form as I sauntered off. "Maybe in a hundred years." I added under my breath.

As nice as he seemed, I really didn't want to see Katsuma ever again.