eight

It was Iain's day off, Base came around. He didn't expect Base to come but he still came. He revealed to Iain that it was Mia's birthday and that he would like him to accompany him to her favourite beach to bring some flowers and a teddy bear. Iain agreed so they went to the beach.
***********

"I was going to say some nice words, but i don't know what to say" Base spoke going to throw the teddy in the water,

"You can't throw him in there!" Iain spoke, "Some kid is gonna walk past, see it face down, it'll give them nightmares for weeks"

Base laughed, before handing Iain the flowers, he split them and they chucked them into the water. "Happy Birthday Mia" he whispered before leaving the teddy for someone to find.

"Let's go back your place, just talk" Base suggested.

Iain smiled, "I've got a better idea than that, come on"

**************

"2 largers" Iain spoke to the barman,

"1 larger, 1 orange juice, I'm not drinking"

Iain sighed, "what he said"

Later, Iain went up for another pint, Base sighed.

"We are celebrating her birthday"

When Iain was at the bar a man barged into him, he went to the toilet so Iain followed after him.

"I want an apology" Iain demanded

The man just laughed in this face, Iain pushed the man and then the man punched Iain in the face. The man walked out of the toilets.

Iain followed, punching him. The man grabbed Iain, pushing him down and punching him. Iain tried fighting back but the other guy was much stronger. Base watched in horror and a friend of the guy tried to stop the fight. But it didn't work out as he pushed her, making her land on the table full of glass.

******

"Iain" Ruby spoke as she saw him. She was on shift, she couldn't believe what she was seeing.

Iain sighed, "I'm fine"

"Your face!" Ruby replied.

"It was a scrap, that's all"

Ruby sighed, "Since when did you start having fights in pubs?"

"It wasn't my fault"

*********

"I can't feel any obvious fractures" Dr Hardy spoke assessing Iain.

"I'm fine that's why" Iain replied.

"Pity they didn't teach you common sense in training" Base muttered.

Iain sighed, "Dr Hardy, tell them coppers they don't need to be here, I'm not gonna take it further"

"No, lets focus on you" Robyn spoke up, Dr Hardy nodded.

"I want to stitch the laceration above your eye and get your cheekbone x-rayed"

"I'm fine though" Iain sighed

"Actually I want all lacerations to be checked" Dr Hardy replied as he walked off.

"You're lucky that guy didn't mash you into dust" Base piped up.

"Well he didn't"

Robyn laughed, "Luckily you're a big paramedic who can look after himself"

Robyn soon left after Dr Hardy needed her.

"You looked like you were trying to get beaten to the pulp" Base spoke

"Oi" Iain warned.

*********

Later Iain went to X-ray and Base went off to a mates.

"I'll be back later" Base spoke,

Iain laughed, "ill be long gone"

Robyn sighed, "that's Iain speak for 'See you soon and thank you for caring'"
**********

"Innocent girl got glassed, has he told you he started it?" The man spoke as Iain was wheeled out of X-ray.

"Yeah,I think you've got that wrong" Robyn sighed, wheeling Iain off.

The man stopped them, "what's your game? You see a man bigger than you and you start a fight?"

Iain sighed, "it was a scrap, get over it"

******

"You are officially discharged and free to go back to your grumpy fortress of solitude"

Iain laughed, "complete with wide screen tv and microwaveable meal for one"

**********

The man turned out to have an injury and Iain realised they had more in common. He was in the army just like Iain. They discussed how life was different especially if they weren't the person they were before after going in.

*********

"I didn't think you'd wait for me" Iain spoke to Base.

Base sighed, "Iain, I know what the darkness looks like" he paused, "you go in, Day in day out helping people and you can't even help yourself" he paused, "you're going through something that you can't get through on your own"

Iain paused, "you think me and her are the same?! All she wanted out of life was a razor blade!"

Base walked off, leaving Iain alone.