Chapter 3

Well, here's the third and last chapter. Some scenes were inspired by Nicci French's Secret Smile, Charmed season one's "Dream Sorcerer", and Beth Fantasky's YA novel Jekel Loves Hyde (don't knock the title; it's actually pretty good). I also nicked a line from Aki Kirito, a main character in the manga series Pureblood Boyfriend.

This chapter is NSFW.

Warnings: dub-con; non-con; dream sex; unbalanced, possessive, amoral Doctor. And he has a thing for knife- and blood-play. There's also that line from Secret Smile.

This chapter also contains quotes from "Bleed (I Must Be Dreaming)", "Haunted", "Even in Death", and "Snow White Queen" by Evanescence. There are also quotes from the Wiccan Rede. If this offends you, just skip those lines.

I don't know how my mind comes up with this stuff. I really don't.

Two days passed, during which Rose made no attempt to contact him. He was mildly annoyed with that, but as they were still in space, it wasn’t like she was going anywhere anytime soon. Still, she had been acting even more skittish around him since he’d . . . taken her—but she’d been cagey even before then.

            Was she beginning to suspect? No, how could she? Yet he knew Rose was smart, and eventually she would catch on.

            She’d already suggested they go see Jack, after all.

            A small growl escaped from his throat at the thought of the former Time Agent, the ex-con. Even thinking about Jack made him feel uncomfortable. Still, going to see the Torchwood agent was out of the question.

            The Doctor shook his head to clear it, set down the book he’d been reading, and rose. Movement helped him think, kept him focused. It was not in his nature to wait, to be patient, to be still. Yet he could be when the situation called for it—especially when an enemy invoked his darker side.

            He may call himself the Doctor, but sometimes he reminded himself more of a nogitsune—a dark kitsune, a trickster that fed off chaos, strife, and pain.

            Even the Master had been scared of the Valeyard, the personification of the Doctor’s evil nature, and a smile twitched on his lips at the thought. The Master may be a sociopath and Death’s Champion, but somehow he never seemed to be all that terrifying. Besides, if the Doctor was going to take over and destroy Earth, he would have come up with a better plan than having the future humans come back to exterminate their ancestors. Maybe he was mixing his species, but still. He wouldn’t have kick-started the whole event by assassinating the President of the United States.

            When he’d been on board the Valiant, it had been difficult to keep playing the part of the poor, helpless, hopeless prisoner. For all his speeches to Martha and Jack about saving the Master, it had been so hard to restrain from killing the other Time Lord. When Jack had mentioned shooting the Master, a very large part of the Doctor had wanted to let the Torchwood agent shoot and kill the other renegade Time Lord. But he couldn’t, oh no, not the righteous, pacifist Doctor. Not without raising suspicion. So he’d protested, said he had no intention of killing the Master.

            In the end the Master had died, shot by his wife; Jack had returned to his Torchwood team; and Martha had left him, after giving this dramatic speech on how she couldn’t take her unrequited love for him anymore.

            It wasn’t like he’d been that upset by her leaving, in any event. Afterwards, on the Titanic, he hadn’t even been looking for another companion. Astrid had just sort of happened—but she’d sacrificed herself before he could show her the TARDIS. Maybe he’d wanted to bring her along because she reminded him of Rose.