Chapter 2: Whispers

POV: Y/N

Months have past since the night of my initiation where Alis and I stained our hands with the blood of a Nobleman and his children. I could sometimes see their faces when I closed my eyes reliving the moment where I snuffed out their lives with just a simple swing of my blade. Eventually the killing became easier and easier as time went by. It became second nature to me almost like eating or sleeping.

Alis: "Writing in your journal again?"
Y/N: "You got a problem with that?"
Alis: "Not personally no."
Y/N:  "Then why are you hassling me about it?"
Alis: "Should it fall into the wrong hands like the Watch or the Abbey you'd be putting all of us at risk."
Y/N: "Duly noted..."

Alis could be a handful at times but she's more than proved herself to be a reliable partner to me these past months. Other then her being a Assassin like me I didn't really know much about her life prior to joining the Whalers...
Wanting to change that I decided that I would get know my partner better.

Y/N: "Can I ask you something Alis?"
Alis: "What is it?"
Y/N: "What were you before all this?"
Alis: "..."

She paused for a moment carefully considering her words then answered...

Alis: "A victim."
Y/N: "Care to elaborate on that?"
Alis: "No."
Male Whaler: "Your wasting your time Y/N, Alis has more skeletons in her closet than she even knows what do with."
Alis: "Vale."

Just like Alis and myself Vale was also apart of the Whalers but unlike Alis he was much more open about his past than her. Before joining the Whalers Vale grew up on the streets of some forgotten district living in the slums where he witnessed the death his parents by swarms of rats. Had Daud not intervened Vale would have shared the same fate as his parents...

Y/N: "What brings you here Vale?"
Vale: "You see that Alis? A little more humility like Y/N here and you'd be a lot more likable and maybe even cute too."
Alis: "Go Jump into a swarm of rats Vale!"
Vale: "Touched a nerve did I?"
Y/N: "Lock it down both of you."
Alis: "..."
Vale: "Buzzkill."
Y/N: "I trust there's a reason you're here Vale?"
Vale: "Thomas has order us to patrol the Flooded district to see if anyone from the Watch or the Abbey are snooping around."
Y/N: "And if we encounter them what then?"
Vale: "We silence them of course."
Alis: "Then let us be off, the longer I have to be in your presence the more I wish to vomit."
Vale: "The feeling is mutual Ice Queen."
Y/N: *Sighs*

Alis and Vale didn't always get along at times but they were at least civilized towards each other when it came to missions but as far as patrols go they kept there distance from each other with Alis walking beside me on the rooftops while Vale was on the opposite roof from us watching for any enemies on the streets.

Alis: "I don't understand how you can tolerate Vale."
Y/N: "What I don't understand is why you two always fight."
Alis: "He's an insufferable prick."
Y/N: "He's not that bad once you get to know him Alis."
Alis: "I did and surprise surprise he's still an       annoying prick."
Y/N: "How about we change the subject?"
Alis: *Pouts* "Fine."
Y/N: "So how did you join the Whalers?"
Alis: "This again?"
Y/N: "I'm just asking how you joined the Whalers nothing else prior to your early life."
Alis: "Lurk."
Y/N: "Sorry?"
Alis: "When I was in a bad spot it was Billie Lurk that saved me and brought me into the Whalers."
Y/N: "Hmm, I always thought Daud was the one to recruit people interesting."
Alis: "My turn. Why do you always write in the journal of yours?"
Y/N: "When the world went to hell my journal was the only source of comfort for me as a kid."
Alis: "And now?"
Y/N: "So I don't lose myself completely."
Alis: "What do you mean—"