Short Story

"I'm scared," squeaked the small voice beside me.

"Rather scared than dead, and besides, if you're scared by this, then you're normal. So, chin up." I said, maybe a bit too harshly.

"Well I don't like being scared; it makes me feel sick."

She had a point, being scared really did suck. "You know what, you're right, let us get out of here, there isn't anything we can do. It's their own faults anyway, these stupid humans and their machines."

The little girl next to me gave what could've only been a squeak of agreement.

"Come on my Sister, father will be looking for us," I announced, sprouting the wings from my back.

"Not fair! When did you get your wings!" She asked, marvelling at the gold, green and blue wings attached to my back.

"Just last night actually, cool, right?"

"Amazing!" she squealed. I loved her so much.

I held out my arms, and she sprang into them, holding tightly onto my neck and burying her small face into my chest.

"You ready?"

She nodded, and her grip tightened.

"Trust me, you are going to love this," I said, turning around and falling backwards, just as father has shown me.

We fell, gaining speed. I could hear her screaming, and as her screams registered in my brain, I spun around and caught the wind.

"You can look." I said soothingly.

She shook her small head.

"Trust me, you will love this, and remember, rather scared than dead."

"If you drop me, you're dead." She said threateningly, slowly turning her around. "Oh, brother! This is amazing! These colours! Thank you!"

"I've been wanting to show you all of this since I saw it with mother three years ago."

"I miss her."

"We all do."