Chapter One

Run.

Just keep running and don't stop.

Don't ever stop.

A voice repeated this in Carl Grimes' head over and over again as he ran through the woods, fear in his heart, stomach, and feet.

Blood covers his hands and clothes.

A pistol in his right hand, knife in the other, leaves crunching underneath his feet as he sprints through the dense forest. The moans of walkers was the only thing he could hear.

He could still smell the gunpowder and the smoke and, the most prominent of all:

Death.

He stopped running to catch his breath, trying to get as much oxygen in his lungs as he could before he had to start running again. He felt a hand grab his shoulder, making his head jerk up to see a walker.

One of many.

"Shit," he whispered before quickly stabbing it in it's rotting skull and running off. He made sharp turns left and right to throw off the undead. The groans of the other walkers seemed to get more distant as the boy ran.

The sun peered through the tall trees as his pace slowed.

He bent over and threw up.

He ran nonstop for a half hour, scared shitless and hasn't eaten anything all day. Imagine what he feels like. Plus the stench from the decaying flesh of the undead gets unbearable.

He wiped his mouth and continued walking. The boy is hoping he can find some little neighborhood before the sun sets.

All he could think about right now is his family. Friends. Group members. He wonders if they're still alive.

Him and his group were just attacked by The Governor. He wanted to take their sanctuary, he thought they'd just give it up. He was so wrong.

Carl and his group put up a nasty fight.
Lots of innocent people were killed, right in front of this 14-year-old. He's witnessed worse, of course. He had to kill his own mother.

Carl stumbled upon a clearing. A large cherry blossom tree stood tall, towering over everything in the area. Petals, a pinkish white color, lay scattered across the faded green grass. A weary smile grew across his face.

"This looks like a scene from a movie," he talked to himself.

It was so quiet, so peaceful in this area. It looked almost untouched. No walkers around, not even the merest bit of blood anywhere.

He collapsed on the ground, embracing the surprisingly soft grass. He took his hat off and just relaxed. It's the first time all day Carl can lay down and rest. He begins to think about the others again.

They could be alive; or they all could be dead.
They could be finding shelter themselves right now; or they could be walking with the infected.

A gruesome image of his father, clearly a walker, popped into his mind.

His crystal blue eyes that held secrets and were always filled with a glimmer of hope we're now a dark yellowish color, with a milky white blanket over them. His greasy skin just got greasier, skinner and lifeless. But had rips and tears, blood pouring from them. A large patch of flesh was missing from his right shoulder, where everything went down hill.

Carl wiped a tear from falling any further down his cheek. There's no more crying in this world. No more mourning. No more grieving.

He sat up and looked at the sun.

"I need to find a house or something."

He trudged out of the beautiful clearing. He didn't want to leave, it looks like the last place that wasn't covered in blood and dead bodies. It reminded him of his life before it all started, everything made sense.

Carl gathered a few sticks and made 3 crosses and put them at the entrances. It was pretty well-hidden from the outside, trying to look at it. Trees and moss and leaves covered it, like "nature's fence" as he called it.

Suddenly, a baby's cry sounded. It was ear-piercingly loud and it scared Carl out of his skin.

"Judith!?"

The cry instantly stopped.

He dropped to his knees as tears began to fill his eyes. The realization of him being alone, and insane, finally hit him.

_____________________
Author's Note://

heeeeeeeey friends.

so I hope you liked the first chapter of this story. I really like the idea of where this is going so PLEASE continue reading.

Thanks!!

-liv