Chapter Five

"Thanks for, ya know, saving me..." Carl mumbled as he wiped sweat droplets off his forehead.

"M-hmm," Bryn nodded.

"Do you have a group?" he asked her, hopeful for a yes. He thought that she could be with his father or anyone that was apart of his group.

"Did," she corrected him, "we were on a run, and a pack of them came. Max sacrificed himself so me and Noah could get away. We survived on our own for a while. He went out one day on his own, because he heard gunshots. He insisted I stayed so I did. He never came back that day..."

Carl bit the side of his mouth, "sorry about that."

"Yeah, it was a while ago, I'm over it, I guess. What about you? Did you have a group?" She asked.

"Yeah. We were staying at a prison for a while, but it got destroyed by some asshole who we had problems with before. I got separated from everyone and I've been alone. I even don't know if anyone's alive," he explained.

"Oh. Sorry to hear that," she said in between mouthfuls of Cheetos.

Carl found Bryn to be a rather quiet girl. She was hard to figure out. Carl can instantly connect with someone just by a conversation, but this was different. He couldn't quite get her out of her shell.

"How old are you?" he asked, trying to make conversation.

"I don't know," she blew him off.

"You don't know how old you are?" he laughed.

"No! No, it's not that," she laughed, too, "When this all started I was like, eleven or twelve. So I don't know I could be fourteen."

"I'm probably around that age, too," he smiled.

Bryn smiled back, flashing a perfect smile.

Bryn had striking features. She was a very skinny girl, probably from the lack of food and all the running. She had bright blue eyes, just like Carl. She was wearing a white sleeveless shirt and brown skinny jeans along with scuffed, black boots. Her septum was pierced along with a snakebite piercings under her bottom lip. Her hair was a neon blue color and it was fairly long.

"Do you keep dying your hair?" Carl asked curiously.

"Sometimes, if I find dye and the stuff for it. But I haven't taken a shower in so long that it kinda just stays like this," she explained, "It's probably gonna like this forever since I dyed it so many times."

"But why do you keep dying it? Like is there a point?" he asked.

"It's just for me, really. But it's hard to stay hidden when walkers are around," she chuckled.

Suddenly, three loud pounds from downstairs made the two kids jump to their feet.

"Bryanna! Open up, sweetie pie!!" A deep man's voice teased in a playful-but rather taunting and creepy manner.

She swore under her breath and ran to get her bag, "Carl, get your shit. We have to leave."

"Who is that?" he panicked.

"I'll explain later, just please get your stuff. We'll come back later to get the food and the guns," she said too fast.

He did as he was told and followed Bryn to the back of the room they were in. There was a door that led to a fire escape. She jogged down the steps, Carl following, and they both jumped off at the end where the stairs stopped.

"C'mon!! Run!" she whispered in a loud tone so he could hear it. They ran off into the woods, away from a very safe place, but away from potential deadly people.

_________________________
Author's Note:

sorry for such a short and boring update. this is kinda just a filler chapter so I'll try to make them a little more interesting. thanks for reading hope u enjoyed.

don't forget to comment and vote!! (: