MARK TWO

She breathed in not knowing if she should interrupt their reunion. Not to mention for quite a millisecond, her heart ached. She touched her chest again and heaved a sigh.

"Vi..."

It has been a while since her heart ached.

"Viri..." Last time it did was 5 years ago and it was a disaster.

"Viridi...!" She snapped back to reality.

"Are you okay?" Selestia asked, concerned and bent down. Selestia, a 24 year old beta female, former classmate and current colleague of hers, was getting concerned about her friend, Viridi who was an omega.

"Does your chest hurt?" the look of worry upon Selestia's eyes drove Viridi to stand upright abruptly, removing her hand off her chest. She gave an awkward laugh. "I'm fine...Sel." The pause before her name made Selestia stand up. Selestia was two inches taller than her making her look up at her. Selestia felt like a sister more than a friend to her. Selestia grabbed her shoulders. "Are you in heat?" Leaning a bit closer now for Viridi to hear as Selestia's voice turned softer. She didn't want anybody else to hear.

"No. I'm really fine Sel. Thanks for worrying about me." Viridi smiled half-heartedly and squatted down to reach for the tray when Selestia gripped her arm. "I'll take it to them. You go rest." She patted Viridi's head.

"...but...I need to..."

"I'll take it to them... in the president's office, right?" Selestia took the tray and stood carefully. Viridi conceded and thanked her friend. "I'll tell the President you're sick and left early. He wouldn't hold that against since you never even use your day-offs." As she went to turn the corner away from the president's room, she took one last glance and then left.

Inside the room, Ken watched over his niece and his father. Both were busy playing around or rather horsing around. "So, any news about your mate?" He heard his younger brother say softly as not to arouse the curiosity of their bothersome father. The question made him raise an eyebrow and shot the same question back at him. "So, any news about your mate?"

Henry stopped. "Fair enough."

"What did happen to your mate?" Ken asked again but this time seriously.

Henry wrecked his brain out every chance he gets in trying to remember that night. He was drunk and affected by the heat, and now he couldn't remember her face or her name. He remembered giving in to his instinct and marked the woman who owned the heat. He did not mean to mark her, but ever since then she has become his mate. He wanted a chance to apologize and redeem himself to his mate so, when morning struck and shooting headache fired, his heart stopped and ached when he knew she was gone. It had been 5 years, and he's been faithful since.

A knock came and snapped him out of his trance. Selestia came with the cups of coffee and some milk and sugar on the tray.

"Where's Ms. Verdant?" Ken asked.

"She wasn't feeling well, sir so I asked if I could help her deliver you your coffee" She showed her professional smile. She set the tray down taking each coffee cup off the tray and unto the desk then lastly the milk and sugar containers.

"If that is all, I'll take my leave sir" She bowed. "Tell Ms. Verdant to take care and no worries about the list. I'll take it from here" Mr. Ken mentioned and allowed her to leave afterwards. "She did look pale a while ago." He mumbled, deep in thought.

"So, your secretary isn't coming back?" Mr. Andrew placed his cup back on the tray and motioned for little Miki to come to him. "Well she does need rest. She's been working under me for 2 years now. And she does look pale for a while now." The thought that she needed the rest made him feel guilty for making her work too much, he guessed.