Prologue; Part One

Lightning McQueen, the best racer ever to come across Radiator Springs, was relentlessly sobbing in a public bathroom, hoping nobody could hear his cries. Today was a day he never wanted to come: the funeral service of his best friend and newfound love, Francesco Bernoulli. What had once been a silly rivalry on the track had slowly evolved into something sweeter and real after the bomb incident. Francesco had passed last week, after his battle with lung cancer and intense hallucinations had come to an end. Ever since, Lightning had seemed less like a person- well, car- and more like the hollow husk of what used to be somebody full of joy and happiness.
  "Lightning, is that you?" Mater, his best friend, approached his stall and softly knocked on the cheap metal door with his tire. "It's gon' be alright, brother."
  "Shut up, Mater!" Lightning screamed, echoing throughout the bathroom. "If it weren't for how badly you screwed up the gang assignment, he wouldn't be dead! This is all your fault!" He spoke through tears.
  "Lightnin',  I don't know what I ever done did to you, but you need to cool it!" Mater was getting angry, not wanting to take the blame for something he never did.
  "It's because of your stupid drug problems! It turned you into an even bigger idiot!" Lightning flung out of the stall past Mater, going up behind him and preparing to fight. "Maybe if you hadn't taken so much ketamine I wouldn't be doing THIS!" Just as Lightning angled his tire for a blow to Mater's face, Chick Hicks and Cal Weathers stormed in.
  "Woah, boys, let's cool it." Cal said as Chick separated the two. "The wake is about to start. You guys better act civil. Especially you, Lightning."
  So as they were about to exit the bathroom, Lightning and Mater called a truce before the service could begin. As Mater rolled out, shutting the door behind him, Lightning glanced in the mirror and composed himself, splashing his face with water to wash away his salty tears. When he put on a straight face and managed to gather the courage to exit the bathroom, he opened the door and prepared for the worst moment of his life.