Chapter 24 - Fool with a mission.

It happened the night before the night before New Year's, the night of the 29th of December.

Antoinette still hadn't come back, and we couldn't avoid the elephant in the room. I knew I had placed my trust in whatever she was doing, but knowing what Li was capable of, that trust could only last so long before I started getting my own doubts.

At least I had some confirmation of what she was doing, or that whatever it was came from her own volition, Claire and Kristina had nothing to go on and, according to our conversation the previous day, they still firmly believed it was because of their argument that she left in the first place.

"I thought she'd be back by now..." I heard Claire say that afternoon. "I'm really getting worried, what if we made her so mad she'll never ever come back?"

"Then we'll wait for an eternity if that's what it takes until we're all together again," was Kristina's response.

I thought about that exchange late into the night, it was because of it that I had a hard time sleeping, staying in a perpetual state between consciousness and dreamland.

During my hazy consciousness, I heard her voice.

"Sebastian, it's me. Don't freak out and don't move."

I opened my eyes to see the dark sillhouette of Antoinette standing by my bed. Normally I would have done something, but I didn't know if this was a dream, a hallucination, or an illusion. I stared quietly.

She smiled at me and continued.

"I don't have time so I'll make this quick. Do you remember that metal door we found in the forest during the boat race? When New Year's comes by, go there during the fireworks. I'll explain everything to you - but don't worry, I'm fine. And, whatever you do, don't tell them anything. You can't take that risk."

And just like that, she left.

I felt confused and sad, but at that time I was too tired to care, so I fell asleep shortly after.

Then came New Year's, and the three of us stood side by side at the dock overlooking a lake, illuminated by the afternoon glow. Claire held a small makeshift boat she fixed up out of a box and some plastic water bottles, and inside of it was a photograph of Antoinette and her little bag. The boat was placed into the water and with a soft tap of the foot, it began to sail. Claire shuffled in her spot and looked down.

"I tried asking for a bow and arrow to make this like a viking send-off, but..."

"No reasonable person would ever entrust you with a weapon," I finished the sentence for her. She nodded sadly.

We watched the little boat float about until Kristina cleared her throat.

"Tonight... we say goodbye to a dear friend." She spoke softly, as if she didn't want to break the silence that surrounded us. I turned to watch the water, how our tribute passed through with small ripples along the surface.

"Antoinette Delacroix. Though you might not have thought the same, you were one of our best friends. I wish we could apologize for the things we did to you, and the things you lost from our faults." She paused, and from the corner of my eye I saw her take Claire's hand. "But every day you were with us, the brief time in which there were four of us, you helped us feel like a family... the way one should be."

Then they looked at me, and Claire outstretched her other hand.

I silently took it and faced the water again.

It was calm, fitting for the night.

"We can only hope you'll find your way back," she said. "...When you do, you'll be recieved with open arms. Until that day comes, your memory will stay with us."