Chapter 25 - So here's the tea.

I advanced through the dark hallway, my hand against the left wall as my only guidance. Each step echoed, reverberating against what sounded like metal floors and metal walls.

Step, step, step...

It was sort of maddening.

I tried to imagine Antoinette going through this same path, being guided by the wall the same way I was, but all I could think of was what would be at the end of this road.

"Just how long is this thing...?" I wondered aloud, and when I started to brace myself to a longer walk, I saw the light at the end of the hall. A fluorescent light, hidden behind a door.

I ran towards it, driven by my desire to find her, and opened without hesitation.

What awaited me was a large room, filled with computers showing numbers and codes I didn't understand, thick cables along the floors, and idly sitting on a swivel chair wearing my coat, I saw...

"Antoinette!"

She looked up to see me, and time seemed to stop for just a moment.

Then I saw recognition in her face, a relief that I was here, and it was like I could breathe again.

"Antoinette, you... what the hell? Are you really there?"

I cautiously stepped forward, feeling unsure of my every action, as though one wrong move would make her vanish again. It couldn't be that after everything, I would find her safely.

My concern was pushed away when she stood up.

"You made it," she said, almost beaming, and shattering the illusion that she was just part of the scenery.

Something tightened in my chest when I heard her voice; I didn't know what came over me in that moment, as I acted without thinking.

As soon as we made eye contact, I ran up and hugged her as tight as I could. I made sure that she was here, that she wasn't going to slip away and disappear again.

"Woah, Sebastian? Hey, ease up. I told you I was fine, didn't I?" I heard the smile in her voice and a wave of relief washed over me, followed by embarrassment over what I just did, making me step back with my face heating up.

"Right. You're right, I - yeah, you did. I just..." I hesitated, not knowing how to put those feelings into words. Instead, I shook my head and cast them aside.

"You really had me worried, I thought you had..." I trailed off, diverting my attention away from that undesirable thought as I glanced around. "What is this place? I deserve an explanation, you know."

"I believe I can answer that."

An unknown voice reached my ears from somewhere in the room, raspy and confident, definitely a man's voice despite its feminine touch.

I took Antoinette's arm, ready to run out at the first sign of danger, but that was when he walked out.

A scrawny tall kid with pride in his face and a bowl cut hairstyle. He waved at me, dressed in a large jacket where his hands were hidden under the long sleeves. Seeing this, I didn't feel as wary anymore, but still stayed on guard.

"Calm down, Sebby boy, I won't bite," he laughed. "Unless you're into that."

I knew immediately that I wouldn't like this man.
Antoinette moved my hand away as she said to me: "Yeah, I had to deal with a whole lot of that these past days. You have no idea how glad I am to see you."

The boy merely smiled, and he approached me with an outstretched hand I didn't want to take.

"Pleasure to meet you. My name's Dominique, ex-member of 1-A."